Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

UK shut down...

Started by Sweeney_Todd [27468] on in Politics & Law.

77 replies · 462 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 78 / 78 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
78
Discussion span
→
Authority score
25 / 100
Historical score
16 / 100
Story score
42 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Sweeney_Todd [27468]
So the UK is now on shut down. I have work tomorrow but after that it's at home with the wife...

Be strong Britain and keep making us laughing, as that's all we have right now. f**k the queues, f**k the issues, just smile people...
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]
I've been in quarantine for a week now. I had to use all my sick days and vacation time that only covers 50 hours out of the 120 expected hours.

I hope that bill gets passed soon. I will need those 1 or 2 checks. Between the slowdown in manufacturing because of the Demonrat obsession with impeachment and not working for the people that elected them and the China Virus, I'm going broke.

Quit 'whinging'. Grab an ale and smoke some weed.
pskov [2456317]
Really showed us what people are truly like, hoarding items, fighting in stores. Never seen anything like that in my lifetime and it's over the sniffles..

Hate to imagine if something serious happened what the reaction would be. Also shows us just how fragile the world has become, no one is self reliant anymore and if anything serious happens, majority of people are screwed especially if you live in Europe or Australia.
A_Mean_Person [1631303]
Guess even the savagery takes longer to get to the islands. I haven't still seen a single empty shelf with nothing of a specific product.

At the most, they have nothing of the cheapest brand of that product like on canned goods, but there is still plenty of the more expensive ones. And on the toilet paper, they are now usually out of the ones on sale, but there is still enough tp left to gift wrap a few houses...

So no one is going to die with unclean asses around here still. Oddly enough on the TP, its usually filled still with the cheapest options, guess people do care more about their ass rashes than what they eat.

But anyways, yeah production wise most western countries are screwed. We did outsourced most production of goods. It's not really food that ppl should be worried as most civilized countries still produce enough or close to enough, but most of everything else does seem to be problematic.

On the bright side, we also get a lot less air pollution... So there is that.
dunmugmeh [538353]
Whats going on now is bad. Really really bad. Aside from the many poorly people who will die it will be a massive hit to the world economy.

With my work i suppose im one of the lucky ones, im actually a key worker helping to manage/run a food warehouse. I will always have a job.

Sadly i can see the economy is going to be in deep trouble. Many companies will go out of business, not just little businesses but multi $billion businesses as well. But there will be many small businesses which will go under.

The profit margins arent great in my work, i could be out of work if things pan out the way i think they will.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]
Change your name to DebbieDowner.

You will have a job through this. I'm sitting at home wondering how long the Demonrats are going to f with President Trump over that bill.

I would rather be working.
A_Mean_Person [1631303]
No holiday for me , still have to work all the same.

But there is indeed a bright side of it, i don't have any dinner in the in laws place anymore and my usual social behavior is now considered as norm.

Not really that worried personally in the financial aspect of it, because i'm a researcher at an uni (so have the financing set for the lasting of the project) and my wife is a doctor in the public sector, so no loss of jobs there either. Direct relatives, at least the ones i care about, none really faces any employment issues, so should be fine in that front also.

But Portugal as a country, we will be back to the shiter for a while again for sure. But hey, we did have the first financial surplus in 2019 for the first time since democracy, so it would have been a lot worse if this has been 6 or 7 years ago.
Blue [972499]
See? You're all set. Pollution is down, the streets are empty, and once this is all over, people might actually consider basic hygiene the norm, rather than eating things from the ground like animals.


We can make this the big reset Europe needs, although I'm sure things will be back to normal in a month or so.
Indubitably [2117849]
Here in America that is democratic socialism and WE SURE DO HATE THAT!!!!

...as people wait for there whopping 1200$ tax rebate that they'll pay for next year.

that 1200$ isn't half of what i get working and i'm out of work a lot longer than a month

zzzzzzzzzzzz america
Thief [206758]
would rather not pay 50% of my income in taxes so that works for me.

Edit: wait what im seeing now is its over 50%

Seriously if i had to pay that much of my income in taxes i would be way worse off than i currently am.
Indubitably [2117849]
If you make under 43,000$ per year you pay 45% in Denmark(from sources in 2016)

I pay 22% in America(and it goes up to 37%). I also pay equivalent of 10% in health insurance each month... So 32% vs 45% for me.

Denmark also has a lot of things that are cheaper like rent/internet. If we were to compare everything the difference would probably be 5% for free healthcare. That means if you break your leg you aren't screwed. Having a child? Don't pay 10,000$...

There's so many benefits but America prefers begging on the internet on a GoFundMe to not die of cancer.
Thief [206758]
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Denmark

I would guess it comes pretty close to evening out including everything you buy. Of course almost all of it is dictated by the choices we make.

I have no rent because i bought a house, didnt pay an extra 30% in taxes a year fixed it up and paid it off i have no car payment bought a new one in 2016 paid it off, ive invested right at 50k in the stock market over the last 24 months. I wouldnt have been able to do any of these things living there. Because i wouldnt have had the money to. Im 31 btw.

And a whole lot depends on where you live in the US, That site i linked is an average but I pay less for literally everything on there than the current price in the US. The food prices in particular are about half... And idk how you are spending 10% on insurance i dont think i spend 5% and i pay more than almost all of my friends because mine is not threw an employer.
Indubitably [2117849]
I make around 42k/yr and I pay 320$ a month on insurance(the average is 500$+ a month and it's only going up)... Back in 2014 the average was 271$ a month. Now it's 500$+ - absolutely f**king bullshit. It doesn't even cover my birth control fully somehow. I know people who are paying 1,000$+ a month for a family of 3.

So I guess it's more like 9% for me.

But yeah I can understand why you'd hate it since you seem to not live in a city and don't pay rent and other things. I'm only 24, live in a city and my rent is 1600(split)

By the time I'm 31, I'll most likely save up enough to buy a house. But even then, I'd prefer healthcare for all even if I had to pay more in taxes. Even if that meant I'd have to wait until I'm 35 to buy a house... In the long-run, you'd be saving money with universal healthcare rather than paying for private healthcare. It might not be that way now, but it always will be.