Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

The debate

Started by Limpd [789073] on in Politics & Law.

147 replies · 721 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 148 / 148 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Limpd [789073]
I had to shut it off couldn't even do it or I should say I stopped paying attention and muted it I don't have kids so it was hard for me
SporkMonkey [2065017]
I haven't read the rest of this thread, and I am sure someone else has already said this, but...

What a shit show. From both sides. Both interrupted, neither went higher than the 4th tier of debate tactics.

Can anyone in this thread from the US honestly say that, before the debate, you weren't sure who you were voting for?

I do a lot of public speaking, for work and various organizations. I cannot stand to listen to Trump speak when he is off his script, which is quote often. The last State of the Union? It was great, in my opinion. His average campaign speech? Nope.

Trump's actions is what matters to me, and the last 3 years have spoken volumes and it's why I will vote for him in November, especially considering the piss poor alternatives.

[image: i.postimg.cc]
Limpd [789073]
Honestly biden did well seemed to have a little bit of cover from wallace to my eye,
but Trump gives me cringe when he keeps butting in ,but at the same time wallace wouldn't let him defend himself
MachineGunSteve [184119]
When Trump was asked about white supremacist groups in America, he said of the Proud Boys, they should:

"Stand back and stand by."

That was the scariest bit of the night in my humble opinion. It struck me straight away as an odd answer to a pretty easy question. One which any POTUS putting the nation ahead of himself could have answered with a simple response in support against white supremacy.

Biden looked like a man more ready for Bingo night, and he is obviously less "with it" than Trump, but Trump is really getting a bit too close to the edge of extremism for me.
av64 [2079113]
Not exactly a fruitful 'meeting of minds', eh? I can't see anyone changing who they will vote for on the back of this unedifying debacle. Politicians and supporters across the whole spectrum should be ashamed of themselves and own their part in what is happening.

The debate mirrored perfectly the attitudes and bubbles now prevalent in real life: no respect for your opponent, no attempt to understand their positions, just an opportunity for cheap, nasty sound-bites.

Come to think of it, much like the majority of posts made on this thread already. C'mon folks, rise above the foetid swamp the politicians and despots inhabit and have some respect for one another...
Phil-I-P [2035498]
That wasn't a debate. It was more like the pre-fight trash talking session you get in boxing. Except with two angry white guys.

Neither said anything of substance. Neither behaved properly. Chris Wallace was useless as a moderator.

Biden just wanted to give pre prepared speeches (asked about the Supreme Court, talked about health care for two minutes), and Trump was just baiting Biden looking for a slip up.

As an outsider, it was fun to watch. It wasn't very informative, and I don't see how it helps voters to make a decision.
SporkMonkey [2065017]
I cannot defend him saying that, but at the same time I don't believe that it's because he supports white supremacy. I think it's more of a bad reaction to the riots and the groups that are involved. The two extremes are a result of over a decade of strife. It was a bad way to respond to the question, and he has to deal with the results. His actions speak volumes, and if Trump is a racist, he is bad at being a racist.

Cue the same three posters that call anyone that disagrees with them a racist, bigot, or literal Nazi. Rise above the bottom two tiers of debate tactics.
Collete [1389080]
It was a stupid question , Trump announced this week he is going to designate the KKK a terror group , Biden brought the Proud boys up and how the f**k are the Proud Boys white supremacist they have black and hispanic members.

Trump said that Stand back and stand up as a f**k you to Biden and all the far left.

Thanks for reminding me Capgros he also is designating those Antifa filth as a terror group as well


Capgros disliked your post

The debate

Mentions: The debate

MachineGunSteve [184119]
Trump is the President of the United States. His answer was ridiculous. He did not make it clear that he is against white supremacy, or that he would honor and uphold The Constitution of the United States of America, by honoring his obligation for a smooth transfer of power if he lost the election. His response was ambiguous at best, and will only serve to embolden those people with an inkling towards chaos and disruption should their candidate of choice lose the election.

No matter how one tries to sanitize it, or spin it... Trump's response was piss poor, regardless how bad the question was.
TWC-Commander [2180078] Wiki Contributor
In large scale American politics we have two parties screaming insults at each other with no respect whatsoever to the other side.

Where I live we have two state senate candidates who openly compliment each other and are both nice people.

American politics is such an amazing thing.

Edit: those two senate candidates are of opposite parties (democrat and republican)