22 replies · 448 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Aaassh[2546369]
· 6 likes · So wait, you were making so much noise about scripting and such not a few days ago, and now you want to "screw the game for legit players in a legal way" and based on your arguments, "legit players" are …
Unlucky[2472585]
· 6 likes · People are more likely to have a reasonable discussion with you if you are not Flippant or Sarcastic. People are also more likely to have a discussion with you if you don't argue in bad faith. Your whole "I want …
Since scripts are king and as long as they don’t pull any non-API data or load any pages on behalf of the user they are generally allowed, I have a question after the latest script mugging fiasco.
Ched wants scripts to stay. Fine. Let’s make them unbeatable.
Would it be legal for me to sell access to a bot monitoring stonkz profits through the API so I can provide muggers real time info on huge stock players currently with cash on hand?
please let me know! This seems very risky, fear inducing & scary to me. Exactly what Ched wants
Why can’t I use API to simply pull stonkz profits? Then wouldn’t it be possible to “know” when a sale has been made by using that info?
Im asking this question to know how viable it is too before I approach my scripter guy to make it. If it’s a no-go it’s a no-go. Looking for ways to show that scripts on a text based RPG game aren’t good. But of course I will remain entirely within the rules in doing so
How are you going to pull anyone else's stock profit information than your own? It is not public information on anyones profile so you would need that persons API key.
EDIT: With your logic, why do we even use Stats Spies since there is also battle stats included in your personal stats? You could just pull that info from the API for everyone to see their stats? See, it doesn't work that way. Only you can see certain stats on your profile and those stats are not available with anyone else's API key than your own. You cannot "pull from the API" any information that you would not be able to see anyway just by visiting their profile.
Thanks. That’s the kind of information I need to know, rather than having my guy roll his eyes and shake his head at me when I ask something.
So, in order to do this, I’d need the targets API key? I’m guessing the Torn players with billions in the market have evolved from natural selection to have more than the average 3 brain cells of a Torn player, so they probably won’t fall for that one.
If anyone has any ideas for potential game-breaking but legal plausible scripts please let me know. I already have the stock monitoring and ping bot sorted, just looking for anything else that might be able to screw the game for legit players in a legal way
So wait, you were making so much noise about scripting and such not a few days ago, and now you want to "screw the game for legit players in a legal way" and based on your arguments, "legit players" are those who don't play with scripts.
And all this by using information in the same way you vehemently denounced?
Ok.
ScaryPoppins[2634610] · #8
Are you saying you think it would be legal to scam someone into giving you their API key?
In a noble effort for game management to realise scripts only break text based games, yes.
This is a text based RPG, not a coding/development game. Releasing a script with negative effects for most players, or one giving massive advantages for a small group, is the only way to make the majority realise this.
I believe I’ve read staff saying elsewhere that players giving out their API key is completely at their own risk. If you think it’s illegal to request an API key from someone, then please, I’m requesting your key, send it and report me!
I think what you want is different from people willingly giving up their API key like they do within their faction (for bots) or to CRLF for statistics purposes under full disclosure.
I mean, if you just ask someone to give you their key and they do it no questions asked, you're probably golden.
But I don't think this would fly if you, uh, do more than just ask. If you know what I mean.
So many people including myself make things to try and improve Torn.
Wanting to make stuff that is 'game-breaking' and 'able to screw the game for "legit players" in a "legal way"' is a really shit and weird attitude, especially when you can't come up with the ideas yourself.
I just wanted to make one thing clear to people. I am against scripts & against players using them in a text based crime game. I think Torn should be renamed to Script City if this is how things will be.
It may be a roundabout way of going about it - and I’m fully ready and expecting the “you’re stupid” comments from the trolls and scripters themselves, but here’s my genuine view:
1. I don’t want to use scripts myself to play a text based game. 2. Others are desperate to use scripts to gain an advantage. 3. I know somebody who is very good at making scripts. 4. Rather than use scripts myself, I want to work towards a goal of having a game without scripts. At least one without scripts that provide unfair advantages. So seemingly it seems one way for me to do that is to commission the making of, and sell, a script that would either screw over “normal” players, or give others a big advantage, in order to raise developer interest in potentially finding ways to stop scripters rather than giving them free reign to cheat.
I realise that this may well be futile; will result in lots of bounties & downvotes from those who love using scripts themselves, but it’ll be fun at least.
With this in mind, if anyone has ideas for a script that would be particularly.... highlighting.... please share!
And once again, you don’t have to agree with me and you’re fully entitled to think I’m stupid. Say that by all means. Just keep any other personal attacks legal and (preferably) on the bounty board. Thanks!
I think we all got that you were trying to "make a point" but do you not see that you've proven the opposite?
You've tried to show that a script to allow mugging of someone that had just removed profits from the stock market is possible and legal to prove your point, but everyone has shown you that it is not possible without the persons API key, or illegal with the persons API key.
So IDK good job I guess, you've made yourself look like either a troll or an idiot.
I think you misread my post. It was a question, I wasn’t making a statement. Hence me posting in the Questions & Answers forum. Maybe you missed that.
Im ready to learn. As I said, I’m not, and have no interest in being a scripter myself. Playing a text based game to script seems counter productive to the idea of playing a game for fun.
Im simply trying to learn what some of the limitations of the API are, and brainstorming ideas for how a scripter could potentially gain a completely legal advantage from a script, in a way that may make developers consider the usefulness of allowing scripts vs deploying tools to track down scripters.
Because essentially scripting on this game is only allowed because the devs have given up with trying to control it.
Please continue to insult me if you wish, or read my posts properly, understand I’m not trying to be a big bad Wolf, and I’m posting in the Q&A forum because I have questions that require answers.
If you can’t provide said answers, or other meaningful input to the thread without insulting me, simply don’t post?
"Ched wants scripts to stay. Fine. Let’s make them unbeatable."
Sure doesn't sound like the words of someone who just wants to learn whats possible.
"If anyone has any ideas for potential game-breaking but legal plausible scripts please let me know. I already have the stock monitoring and ping bot sorted, just looking for anything else that might be able to screw the game for legit players in a legal way"
If you had no intention to use it why do you have a stock monitoring bot and ping bot ready?
"Im asking this question to know how viable it is too before I approach my scripter guy to make it. If it’s a no-go it’s a no-go. Looking for ways to show that scripts on a text based RPG game aren’t good. But of course I will remain entirely within the rules in doing so"
If you are just looking at the limitations of scripting why are you prepared to approach your scripter friend to make it.
I've read all your posts and you're trying to prove a point by being subversive/disingenuous but you're failing miserably, because you have no idea what you're going on about.
A) Of course I want to learn. This whole thread is about potentially making a script that would force a rethink on scripting rules. I’m sorry that’s not what you want, but it doesn’t make my thread less worthy of actual answers.
B) The stock monitoring and ping bot is a separate development in its entirety that is already done, released, and being actively used. Updates incoming to that bot have the potential imo to be big game changers. There’s a thread about it in the userscripts section.
C) I’ve made clear my intentions; those being that I want to make (or rather, have made) a script that gives some players a huge advantage. That is why I am approaching my scripter friend. If you’d have read my posts, again you might understand.
Im glad that you’ve read enough to understand that I’m “trying to make a point”, though. I acknowledged that myself and even stated the end goal to avoid any confusion.
Im sorry if you don’t like the idea of scripters advantage potentially being messed with?