I'm fairly sure beer is on the higher end of the profitable junk you can buy in the city (without education restrictions). It seems like more effort than its worth regardless of what a bot could potentially be auto buying lol
People use scripts to auto-buy a lot of things. It's not just beer.
Likely, if someone is scripting to snag the beer in the shop, they're scripting to patrol bazaars and market items as well. Money is money. Some people take this game very seriously, of course there's gonna be some weiner who'd risk it for beer.
Never had this problem. I buy 100x beer every day and never had a single problem. One thing i noticed tho, beer do restock at XX:15/30/45/00:10s every time. 10 seconds later than scheduled. Every. Time.
It is a matter of degree isn't it? How fast do you want to believe that min 10 random people max buy within a given time window. I would certainly believe it with in 15-30 seconds. I would most likely believe it within 10. 5 starts to stretch it for me. 3? 2? 1? If the log turns up 10 people all completing the purchase in under 1 second that would not be fishy to you?
So what is "reasonable" or "fair" is a subjective thing. That is true. It has been a long time since I was buying beer as a routine. But I recall people posting in chat "beer at bobs". People would have the time to read that, go to bobs. Purchase. ETc. Now you would not even have time to post its presence.
What changed? Did Torn get 10X more popular since I was around 1 year old? Metrics don't say that is true. However, the proliferation of people auto monitoring things has proliferated.
Correlation is not causality, but I would love to see the log of that particular point in time.
I have enough beer for now regardless. This is not about money. This is not about being able to get get or buy or afford beer. This is about the integrity of the system and a specific point in time and a specific log time that I think could likely indicate a problem. I could also just be totally wrong and if so, so be it.
The word "scripts" has just become such a buzzword and an excuse people throw around freely lately, when in all honesty people just don't seem to realize that this game is bigger than their own little bubbles. It's nothing to do with scripting.
There are thousands, sometimes 10s of thousands, of players online at any one moment - and as others have mentioned this is a very, very common area for people to go to. There will be hundreds of people at times looking for the beers, mostly newbies, to buy them up to make a few thousand bucks to sell to the slower folks.
To say nothing is being done about scripting is also quite an absurd statement, when one of the largest posts in the front page of this board right now is discussing the current anti scripting methods that are in the game and being rolled out - however - in this case - it is completely irrelevant.
Fair enough. I admit to (at a minimum) having imprecision in both my understanding about and the implementation of these things. However, I still say it is fishy as hell in that short a time frame. However, I do not monitor activities of players or specific "hot" areas of the game so I am completely unqualified to say what is possible. That said, based on experiences in prior years where it seemed always present in B&B to now where it gets bought out in sub 3 seconds... Something has changed and the time frame seems fishy to me.