So apparently now, Trudeau is considering invoking the Emergencies Act. That last time such was done, it was known as the War Measures Act and it was invoked in 1970 during the October Crisis. Pierre Trudeau was PM then. Odd, under the leadership of 2 generations of the name Trudeau has required such draconian measures.
that are blocking services, businesses, supply chains, and critical infrastructure; putting hundreds, maybe thousands out of work and they just gotta wait until y'all stop shitting your pants
i didn't support the use of military at first. but the ottawa police have clearly chosen "a side" and are cheesing it for more money. the military have better equipment to tow unwilling semis.
y'all crybabies haven't even been tear gassed and kettled. if you were hippies, this woulda been dispelled week one. grow up
edit: wonder how many insurrectionist jan 6th wannabes in ottawa are gunna have guns taken from their warm living hands over this
Thing did, it seems. I didn't intend my post as a specific criticism of him though - every other thread was full of below-the-belt ad hominem bullshit well before he ever started posting. I just get bored of watching every topic disintegrate into endless cringey repetitive flame wars, there's nothing to engage with.
i'll be honest, the days of debate club-style respectibility politics are probably over, and frankly the notion was held up for far longer than it had any right to be; rightists pined hard for a "culture war", well it's here now. civility is an cudgel with which to repress honest conflict and struggle; to hide from reality.
one thing i'll say is that those engaged in argument hardly ever get convinced of anything. in fact, they are usually not the target of propaganda, the lurking audiance is.
So am I. You. CRLF. Cap. The constipated old man from Canada who focuses on men's dicks. Lenin. Sag. Limp. Zick. Wise. Eddie. Bhaps.
Etc etc...
We're all guilty of it.
I think what caught people off guard is he came outta nowhere, hit the ground running, and folks don't know how to engage. Thing's cool with me, but I get that impression looking from the outside in.
I think it's only going to make things worse. Why didn't he just talk and listen to what their issues were instead of just hitting the everyone-protesting-is-bad drum? Seems like something a leader should do.
Oh, well, I'm not necessarily advocating a return to 1950s-style fake-polite, I mean there are plenty of utterly insane ideas bouncing around on here and in the world, and they deserve to be rigorously dismantled and held up for the dangerous, hateful tripe they are. If and when I spout ignorant bullshit, feel free to call me on it in the strongest possible terms. What I find cringey is when personal attacks become the ENTIRE line of argument, like the focus shifts from "your opinion is bad" to "you are not worthy of having opinions," and then that continues back and forth for ten pages, long after it's clear that the only reason anyone's still responding is to get the last word.
The condescension part is more of a pet peeve, because I double-plus hate it when people talk down to me - like making me feel like an asshole is less work than actually examining or explaining their own ideas - so I sort of vicariously hate it when I read it happening to other people.
These border blockades didn't start until the PM called them all racists and went into hiding. He could have come out and dealt with it (talking to them and coming up with a plan to end mandates) instead of throwing gas on the fire. Now instead of doing the right thing he's making it worse again. Just digging himself into a hole.
fun fact... y'all don't actually speak for all canadians; not all of us agree that it's time to pretend covid is just a cold. not all of us want the ICUs to be packed full again by summer.
one might say, many canadains want there to be absolutely zero concessions made to the petit-bourgeois rightists and podcasters who make up the brain worm flotilla.
literally the only thing i have ever agreed with trudeau on lmao
edit: for real, f**k y'all for hoping to endanger the lives of everyone else.
how many times have we been through this now? we've lost track of the wave number.
i don't want us to be doomed to this boom-and-bust dipshittery where we have two weeks of """freedom""" but then have to close down again for two months because people couldn't resist coughing into each others faces and the hospitals get packed again.
especially as a contingent of these protests insist on remaining suicidally infectious.