Robert Jordan fantastic author The Wheel of Time is my favorite multiwork series and its likely will never see anything as good in the fantasy genere for a long while.
T. Kingfisher’s (Ursula Vernon) has a good series of books that all take place in the same setting. The book that drew me in was A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking ??
Patricia C. Wrede’s Enchanted Forest Chronicles was a book I grew up reading & read to my kids when they were younger.
Naomi Novik’s Scholomance series has been an interesting take on the magic boarding school genre.
Richard Roberts’ Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m A Supervillain series was a fun take on the coming of age/superhero mythos.
Marion Harmon’s Wearing the Cape series was too.
Um… but I guess that isn’t “a” favorite ???? Why choose one world when I can live in many?
To be honest i have never read it. I know i should have with me being a sci fi fan. That is the book which inspired the Bladerunner film isnt it?
I have watched a lot of sci fi films over the years as well, its more or less the best sci fi film isnt it? Its just so well staged and filmed. The atmosphere is perfect. Harrison Fords best film.
There are a LOT of sci fi and fantasy books which would make great films if they where to be produced by the right people. But there can be flops as well. Sci fi is a difficult genre to get right on film.
A lot of Philip K. Dick's works have been adapted into movies. Total Recall, A Scanner Darkly, Minority Report, Paycheck, The Adjustment Bureau, Next, etc.
To be honest im not familiar with Philips life works. I havent read any of his books sadly. But all the film adaptations of his works you have mentioned here are great films. Good sci fi. Sci fi is such a hard genre to get right in films.
I actually like the 2nd Blade Runner film as well its a good solid sci fi film if you havent seen it watch it. Yes Harrison Ford is being 'wheel chaired ' out to be in it. He isnt the star but his role in the film is relevant. But the first Blade Runner is a classic film.
His novels (more like novellas) are good, but I think his short story collections is where he really shines. Most of the movies come from his short stories. Definitely worth a read if you like Sci-fi.
"Sci fi is such a hard genre to get right in films."
I agree. I think a lot of times the "thought provoking ideas and/or questions" get lost in translation from page to screen.
Margaret Atwood, John Barth, Umberto Eco, Jorge Luis Borges, Italo Calvino, T.H.White, Haruki Murakami, Sylvia Plath, Virginia Woolf, Mary Oliver, Robert A. Heinlein, Alfred Tennyson, Patrick Rothfuss, Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman