Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Another slips away

Started by Beerstein [1322136] on in General Discussion.

136 replies · 5.12k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 137 / 137 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
137
Discussion span
→
Authority score
62 / 100
Historical score
38 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
84 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Octon [495119] ×7 Andrew [194620] ×2 ChristmasBazaar [1352251] ×2 Chit [1380260] ×1

Beerstein [1322136]
IDK what to title this. As some may have noticed I disappeared for a while. As some may not have noticed, Octon [495119] (my brother) also disappeared. We lost him to cancer the week before Christmas. I honestly just didn't want to log in or play without him around.

He stubbornly kept his original profile from way back in the day for the years throughout Torn, that style of profile was super common back when he started.

He was also a non-buster (Cause it's wrong to bust people out of jail) and refused to bust people, not sure how he got 1 failed bust, maybe a misclick.

He was big on doing racing for a while and did well there (lvl 25)

He maintained true 100% non-druggie status from day 1. He was also super against taking any drugs and alcohol (including medicine) in real life and went through a lot of pain avoiding any medicine not directly related to fighting cancer, eventually taking some pain meds near the end. He didn't like that they alter your state of mind and the essence of who you are. Despite all that he was often one of the top hitters in events like world war competitions.

He was the first to earn the "Survivor" honor in Torn, I can't recall if Bodybagger earned it the same year, or the year after, but no one else did, the rest of Torn was Zombified.

He was also a low key level holder way before it was cool and at a deceptive level, the quiet obscure level holders are the most dangerous sometimes.

Overall he was really quiet and only talked with those he was really close with or as needed. No surprise his favorite quote was “It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”.

My Dual P90s were given to him before he passed, I wanted him to have them and there they will stay forever. Along with that a Sledgehammer he got off Tiny, and a few other cool items. Overall ended up at over 100b networth, and some of it was given to others.

He brought me into the game along with ChristmasBazaar [1352251]. We all were part of the #1 alliance in another game together and our leader was dying of cancer, so we decided to retire the game and alliance on top. We came here where Octon already played a bit.

---

Much love to all those quiet players that have slipped away, as well as their families, and to all those quiet players that still play, and some day will quietly disappear. Each and every one is missed when parting from this amazing community, you are part of what makes Torn what it is no matter how much or little you interact with others.

Thanks to DA for giving me space and not even once questioning it. Man they suck at war but are a truly great family to have.

---
Side note: Things that happened while I was away...

Your PayPal subscription has been cancelled. Thank you.13:14:4012/04/22 (annoying, but whatever)
Chit bought 1 x Voodoo Doll from your bazaar for $790,000,000.05:19:10
~Chit mugged like 775m over a few days. (Y'all are slipping, no one noticed this and got in on the action?)
6 lawsuits from IOU
A mail from Andrew [194620] literally asking for free shit in case I logged in again and am not coming back. He's got this shit on lockdown. He doesn't even wait for "I quit" posts, y'all gotta keep up with the times, this guys living in 2050 over here.

Overall pretty quiet otherwise, some mission hits and whatnot.
---

To all the silent lurkers, keep kicking ass! A shoutout to Chedburn as well for making this amazing game, fostering the community many of whom I've met or even worked with in person, yourself included. Thanks for genuinely caring despite all the shit people give you sometimes. For all the things that don't quite work out, he does genuinely care and is an all around awesome guy.

I miss the hell out of Octon and it was really hard to log in to be honest. Maybe I'll stay but we'll see, there are still some really cool people here that I've gotten to know here over the years.

I'll end this post with RIP Octon [495119] who literally died while waiting for Crimes 2.0

Mentions: Andrew [194620] · Chit [1380260] · ChristmasBazaar [1352251] · Octon [495119]

Beerstein [1322136]
Thanks. Honestly, I always thought about it sometimes, the quiet ones that really make up a such a big and important part of this game, the ones that don't get threads made when they pass. This is for all of them, not just him. They may be quiet, and most don't notice them, but some have such impressive accomplishments in this game.
Kelsie [340367]
I am so sorry for your loss sweets. My thoughts are with you and your family. I'm here for anything you need, just a message away.

May he rest in peace <3.

He sounded like one of a kind, a player who did things on his own terms. I never met him, wish I had though.
Metchi_Pockvano [2743523]
I'm sorry for your loss. This post kinda made me tear up a bit. Hope you continue playing.

I can understand the lurkers (being one myself). Sometimes it's hard to talk to people you don't know. The fear of rejection is always there.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Beerstein [1322136]
Thanks Kels. You grew up on Torn and are still somehow a kind and thoughtful person, not sure how you beat those odds but I'm glad you're a mod!

He was a kind person, even in the end he was more worried about others than himself.
Uncle [1945385]
RIP Octon. My condolences to you and your family. I hope you find it in your heart to keep logging on. I didn’t know you well but your posts and activity were legendary.
WeekendTechie [2655242]
I have never spoken to you or your brother before. After reading this though I kind of REALLY wish I had. He sounds like an amazing person and a true loss not only to yourself but the world as a whole. There aren't many people around with that kind of moral compass and morales. As many others have said I am so sorry for your loss
Lenin [2199004]
my deepest condolences, i can't even begin to imagine

it's a tragedy to lose another upstanding member of torn, so few truly unique committed players remain. everyone's just chasing some meta; so strong, but so cliche

take care, i imagine you must have already gone through quite a period of coming to peace, and i hope this step on your path forward continues to heal and bring comfort to you
Beerstein [1322136]
You were sent $1 from someone with the message: okay bye02:39:3213/04/22

Aint that the truth lol. When you want to taunt someone but are scared of them and can't afford the other $68.

Thanks, and sorry I don't have enough upvotes for everyone, y'all are awesome <3
Penetration [2340613]
Nice reflection for your brother. It's clear you loved and respected him very much, and that his passing has done for you what it does for most all of us - a reminder of what's really important.

I'm sure it has been a longer, harder battle than many of us know. He's found peace now and though you'll always miss him, and it will always hurt, in time it will hurt a little less.

Much respect Beerstein. Take care buddy.
Gem [2581696]
I'm so sorry for your loss, Beerstein. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I think it's amazing you're memorializing your brother in a game that y'all played together with this tribute, and making sure his account forever holds some pretty cool items that represent awesome memories/bonds.