48 replies · 1.44k views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:49 / 49 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
49
Discussion span
→
Authority score
30 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
51 / 100
Engagement score
73 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
meckie93[2438411]
· 2 likes · [image: pics.me.me] Same goes for the new chat. It's better if people learn early on the true nature of Torn. If they can't handle it, it's not the right game for them...
ThunderBlitz[2684774]
· 1 likes · I think I see where the confusion is here. I can only speak for myself but, my main thought on this wasn't about creating an identical 'role' as such, it was more adding a condition/choice for new players and restarts …
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform, this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
So what do those players do that don't conform to your preconceived gameplay speeds do? Are they out of a chat or do they get thrown to the wolves of global?
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform, this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform, this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
[/background]
5wan[2740387] · #7 · edited
I brought this up when I was in new player chat. Some do need to be nudged along.
New player chat should be for new players and also the not too new players who are friendly and accept it is a privilege for them to still be in New player chat and not be chat hogs. One day I might purchase a 1 mill respect faction and take the active new players into it and let them thrive socially and within a cooperative environment to build strength and teamwork with players of similar experience to them. And while I'm at it I'll spread happiness and joy with my lute - very easy to go from one end of the scale to the next.
The truth is and Ive slipped a bit into it myself is that the vocal Torn community prides itself on being bit spikey to toxic ( toxic to people who are not used to it and take it personally ) .
The only role I would do as staff would be to monitor new player chat and nudge them along out of it or hint for them to behave. - I'm not volunteering just saying.
+ I'm not saying a specific game age to move people.
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform, this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
I constantly see people older than 100, 300, even 1000 days show up in chat, just as clueless as the day they registered and forgot about the game for 3 years. Its going to be realistically impossible to reach a consensus on when to upgrade a newbie to Global, however, I have seen staff decide to permanently block the chat to certain inflammatory users on a case-by-case basis before, which is how the current system works and how I'd keep it if it were up to me.
Moreover, nothing (aside from staff, again) stops high level players from restarting, or even making multis to troll newbies in chat, which I have also experienced firsthand.
The real solution (if any) to this issue is to make staff act more strict, but you should ask yourself the question of whether or not you really want that. Do also keep in mind, that you can reach level 15 in a single day, from where you lose all your perceived protection, besides the Day 0 and Day 14 milestones.
I remember asking one of the staff members about this when I was a newbie (I believe it was Amph, but it's been a few years, so it very well could've been someone else). If I remember their answer correctly, there was a brief time when NPC was based on age, but it caused a lot of newbies to be booted from NPC before they were actually ready, which, understandably, made them upset. It was undone and NPC was based strictly on level again, with many of those angry newbies returning to NPC. So basing it on age is not a good idea.
But to your credit, you're right, there have been, are, and will be people that are in NPC that very much don't need to be in NPC. How do we handle the rotten eggs? Well, it's actually already being handled. I can name a handful of people who have been permanently banned from NPC for a variety of reasons. Jesus for harassing staff, KriminalKirby for general toxicity and breaking the rules, Wolfy_Girl for only using it to attack newbies despite not being a newbie, Rax for... Well being Rax XD. Point being, it's being handled, and while it may be time consuming on Bogie's part, handling it on a case by case basis is going to be for the best. It prevents a blanket statement that ends up overreaching and booting people that still belong.
When I first started this "game", I got targeted, relentlessly and it almost put me off going any further with it. Only a few small (voluntary) gestures by others kept me checking back. Eventually the harassment did stop but, the fact that it's deemed acceptable, is still quite alarming to me (there's a difference between using existing game mechanics & abusing them, to intentionally harass another person) and even now, has massively diminished my level of interaction with everyone on here.
Another suggestion I'd like to add to this; while 'new players' are seemingly given a bit more flexibility when it comes to things they've done wrong (given a greater benefit of doubt, etc), it might be useful if non-new players have a bit of a harder line taken on them, if they target a new player (and the new player reports it).
Obviously, there are limits but, it could be just as beneficial to the admins as the players, with fewer people abandoning their accounts, it's potentially more long-term subscribers.
Fundamentally, this IS a game, so nobody should be made to feel dread or upset at merely playing it. Nobody should need to "fit in" with someone else's toxic outlook.
EDIT (meant to add this further up); I initially intended to stay at level 12, because it's my nature to help others, do wanted to carry that through in this game (figuring that the newest players would need the most help) but, the harassment I faced at the time made it seem like I HAD to level up, even if only to start flying so I could escape some of the harassment. The toxicity of this game is its biggest failing, so, anything that at least dilutes it can't be a bad thing.
Maybe some kind of voting system? So the real new players could anonymously thumbs up or thumbs down those above their level. That way those that are trying to help would stand out from those that don't.
My account is nearly 3 years old. Because when I started, I moved at the same time. About 3 months ago I saw a Facebook ad for this really cool browser base game, and tried to sign up.
I believe by first words in chat were "why the f**k am I 1000 years old!?" Lol
I don't think being it on age is the right way to go about this, due to that. ?
Maybes hidden active game time, but even then, what if you just have your browser up 24/7?
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform, this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
Presumably, also taking each person's activity log into consideration (specific, deliberate actions made, such as buying things, doing crimes, etc).
For example, if an account APPEARS active but, no actions have been made, even in the chat boxes, private messages, etc, then it can be presumed that the person hasn't really been active, they've just not fully logged out. It's a bit difficult to 'cheat the system', if you're not even participating in said system, after all. ;-)
The level of log intrusion is off the charts in this game, so seems quite logical to use it for something like this.
Due to privacy concerns caused by a group of malicious and toxic players willing to take their in-game stalking to another social platform, this player has decided to remove the original text and content of this post.
Really not meaning to hijack this X-D but, another option could be to have level 12 players, who choose to stay level 12 long-term, be obligated to take on a mentor-like role towards those under level 12. It could be made a condition of holding that specific level, maybe even have extra merits added as an incentive to help others, rather than take advantage of them.
Just spitballing but, I'd almost be tempted to restart just so I can stay at level 12 if this was implemented. ;-)
EDIT: didn't see the the 2 posts after my previous one until I posted this (d'oh!) Good to see I'm not the only one thinking this way, though! :-)