Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

MTG

Started by 4Am [2318684] on in Gaming.

21 replies · 179 views · thread synced · 12 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
22
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Aezur [1950769]
I've played on-and-off for half my life. Got back into it recently and went to FNM the last 2 weeks running. Got absolutely stomped, but had fun.
4Am [2318684]
12 whack !

Only problem is ive never technically played before haha. I play arena so i know how to play but never played irl. I want to sign up for my local modern weekly tournament but kinda scared. I dont really know how the etiquette goes. Not sure if i should just sign up and wing it or hope to find someone to play with prior. I really want to get into it. I love it never played anything like it. Makes me think so much
Aezur [1950769]
Etiquette:
  • Put your shuffled deck in the centre of the table for your opponent to 'cut'. They'll expect you to cut their deck too so split it in half at random, then put the bottom half on the top. It's to avoid cheating. This should be done at the start of the game, and after every deck shuffle.
  • Narrate your plays. "I tap a forest to cast Lanowar Elvers".
  • Wait a beat between plays for the person to respond.
  • Say "going to attacks" before you go to combat to preserve game-state. If you just attack (which many people do), things like bouncing to avoid combat triggers get a bit skewy.
  • Ask before touching someones cards. Usually they will tell you it's fine to just read them if you need to, but always ask the first time. Some people get weird about it.
That's about it tbh. If there's anything specific you wanna know, just ask.
Kajal [2542083]
ooo goblins, fun!

I've been playing 4-5 years and I totally, totally know the apprehension of going into a local game store for the first time... in my experience (practically) everyone is super friendly and more than happy to help newer players, cos it means more people to play with, so... just do it :)

Have you checked out the older MTG online platform? The graphics are a lot more basic but it has an actual card economy, so you can buy or rent cards and try different decks instead of having to wait on wild cards - plus you can play any format which I think is nice
4Am [2318684]
Hey i actually downloaded it yesterday. I think i will def do that with my deck so i can lern the ins and outs ! thank you for the recommendation!
GraphiteHelix [2768211]
I used to play, but not anymore. I do still have my decks though, all of them super old and probably not legal in tournaments nowadays :P

I have:
2 mono-green decks, one elf and the other is treefolk. Both focus on mass-healing and flooding my side of the table
1 mono-red deck, a burn/goblin deck
1 black/blue deck with the purpose of milling my opponent but can also mill myself , depending if I have Jace, Wielder of Mysteries in my hand. :P
Yusuke_Urameshi [2009775]
I hate blue it made me quit honestly never before was it so boring to play for almost a 15 min game to just pass turn and end turn looking for burn in my red deck. i played almost perfectly but i didn't know the meta on magic duels and lost .... anyone who thinks its cool to balance a deck type around 15min games are fking insane.


in that time i could of did 15 duels on duel links or half a match of lol or dota 2
BillyDeathwish [1586821]
I love to play. Have you heard of forge? It's a way to play commander and other formats online. Me and a buddy play sometimes since we're now 16 hrs apart.
BillyDeathwish [1586821]
I haven't played spell table. Forge is basicly just let you play magic for free. You can use any cards and build decks. It's got most of the formats and a feature to play online with friends. No its 100% on the computer it's closer to how mtg online use to be. It's pretty nice I'll get you a link.
Warphead [2787193]
I play but have long breaks. The Dungeons & Dragons cards that are kinda new was very much fun for old D&D guy. Also I think the Warhammer 40k cards they release this year are a must buy. Too bad there is no orks.