Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Linux Users

Started by Daturax [2627396] on in Technology.

65 replies · 920 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 66 / 66 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Jaxtra [2658631]
Yes, no problem, all you need is a browser, and both firefox and chrome is available on linux (and a lot of other browsers too).
Daturax [2627396]
Recently swapped over from Artix over to KDE Neon user edition (Plasma 5.25).
Artix started giving me trouble a few months ago after an update (Black screen at login). Also getting the nvidia Prime working on the Artix KDE distro was a pain.
I am very happy with Neon, does anyone else use it?
So far no issues, using Opera Browser with chrome extensions.
Also using Neon for Minecraft with Fabric mods and for playing Veloren.
Seems much more stable than artix and also just as fast.
Miss_Electra [2805810]
Mint is Ubuntu based, and Ubuntu is Debian based. LMDE is directly Debian based, removing Ubuntu completely. Either way you go it's all Debian based and my suggestion works no matter which version of Mint you use.
oraN [1778676]
Parrot is actually pretty good I've had the pleasure to work with it for 2 weeks on a replacement laptop, If I wasn't attached to Arch & AUR i'd be using it.
Neopolitan [276835]
Linux Mint is my favorite "Just Works" distro and is 100% what I'd recommend to newcomers. I like the cinnamon desktop environment, and think KDE also has a lot going for it.

For something more recent without the extreme bleeding edge of Arch, I'll go with Fedora KDE spin

Whenever I get monitors that are all the same size, I'll try out i3wm or other tiling wm
Elon [2803679]
My work more or less forces me to use Windows. I do run a Kali VM on my personal computer and Debian LTS on most of my (virtual) servers. I love tinkering with it.
Tux [2571279]
For my homelab 3 out of 4 of my servers run FreeBSD (truenas and pfsense) and my proxmox server is debian. But most of my VM's in my homelab are RPM based (Fedora Server/AlmaLinux). Think I have one odd Debian server in there.

My work laptop is Linux and my personal desktop is running Pop OS (because it just works). I run a Windows VM on my desktop with VFIO passthrough for any gaming needs.

My personal laptop is Windows only because when it was new it didn't have great Linux support and I don't use it all that often so haven't tried Linux on it again.

I love Linux :)
oraN [1778676]
[image: i.imgur.com]

5+ year old system, had over 3000 packages got them all down to the nice number without breaking anything. can easily do 100+ tabs on chromium while having notion codeoss discord terminal with ssh to my server and ~10 docker containers running at the same time. On win10/MacOS this would be impossible lol