Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Ignored for too long...

Started by Beerstein [1322136] on in General Discussion.

57 replies · 2.91k views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 58 / 58 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
58
Discussion span
→
Authority score
61 / 100
Historical score
45 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
78 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Beerstein [1322136]
The Elim has made me curious, what things has Ched ignored from players for too long then finally fixed after the fact? Things players specifically warned him about that he ignored.

So alas, with all the "Thanks Ched, you're awesome!" threads popping up lately, I feel we need an "Also, you ignore us too much" thread. This was inspired by the "What do you think of random Elim teams?" thread after we spent years begging for it.

Examples (Will keep the historical short as I'm sure others have tons to add, I'm sure I'll miss several on-decks too, I'll let others hit the slew of gambling/stock market ones):

Historical
  • Elim rigging, every time he was warned players would rig it he didn't believe them, from gendered teams, to too many selections as people called for truly random or stat balance involvement. (now fixed)
  • Elim rewards for players with all merits (semi-fixed maybe?) Bogie announced partly subjective awards decided on by staff.
  • Busting for dex, people called this issue out really early where you gained % dex for busting, by the time Ched addressed it a few had insane (for the time) dex.
  • Unlimited banking (This one's actually a bit older than me, banks used to have no limit)
  • Making donor packs non-tradeable, was warned beforehand it would be a disaster, held on too long to revert and it hurt Torn a lot at the time. Donor packs ended up in the hundreds of millions (from ones that were left) speaking of left, lots of players left during that time and it took Torn a lot to recover.
  • Dekloren (if you know, you know)
On Deck
  • Farms only being valuable at 10*s and having 0 value below that with the limit of 10* companies being a percentage of them, the more successful the ones there are, the harder it is to hit 10* driving owners out, total farms down, available farms down into a death spiral. Many easy fixes swapping 7 and 10* specials would be the easiest and lower farms would simply have less job points to spend.
  • AB+ blood type, only impacts a small portion of players so this may stay for a long time, or forever. It shows a lack of caring for a small slice of the population and antagonizes them though, the player losses will be minimal here, but they'll unnecessarily exist.
  • Factions farming caches from 1 hit losses, the value being handed out is simply too high.
  • Cache farming factions, ones that can drop 1-hit losses for easy caches and pull in "faction family" (stronger) members to intimidate others into free wins (or take them by force if intimidation fails) cycling even more crates in. (almost similar result to below)
  • Territory holdings having tradable racket benefits leading to a stagnant map being held hostage by top factions through a combination of intimidation and "protection"
  • Throwing this one in for the handful of racers out there, but the quickest way to gain racing skill being through a company special rather than actual racing. (Press Pass from TV Network) could easily remove or just swap it for hunting, just adding a potential fix on this one since I don't think anyone has suggested any. The top racers are already from TV Networks though.
Indubitably [2117849]
I just wanna say my GD threads and complaining probably got these Elimination changes pushed through.

You're welcome for me being so annoying.

I don't think all the other "cons" you have here are worth complaining about though. The cache farming loss factions are pretty lame though. There isn't really a fix for it and I'm all for more caches being brought into the game.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
I was always on the fence regarding the bloodbag suggestion, but... yeah... not wrong, it's entirely outside of their control and is such an accessible thing elsewhere.

There's an argument of "well life's not fair" and "its only 1% of players", but I still feel it's not unreasonable. Some sort of acquirable poison to taint blood bags with for the same purpose should be available. In fact, there's probably not even a need to add a new item, you could probably repurpose something that already exists like the sprig of holy item - change to a usable "other" item "You crush up the sprig of Holy and add to your AB+ blood bag" - turn that into a poisoned bag and have the same hosp time/effect as acute haemolytic reaction.
Beerstein [1322136]
I definitely understand the concept of blood types, I even think it's cool. But it's also the only thing in the game that is a forced crutch and doesn't fit at all with the rest of the game design, which really sucks for impacted players.

The player losses aren't minimal from having a no way to bloodbag hosp other than radiated blood ya royal fool xx

It's impossible for anyone but Ched to know the difference in player retention, we only know how much it sucks, but by the time players find out many may be too invested and just feel slighted rather than leaving the game entirely. I'm hesitant to say there's any more than a minor impact on player retention without numbers, and even if there is it may be so small the margin of error doesn't even allow it to be seen.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck royal balls, just that I can't confidently say more than a handful have quit or restarted over it.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
Whilst it's not quite the same situation I did know of one guy who would repeatedly open an account, complete the education, close it and restart legally, repeating the process until he got the blood type he wanted.... I cant even recall what he was after now but he did it quite a few times :|


I dont support any idea that would allow players to change their type in game, but something to give the existing AB+ people something isn't unreasonable imo.
BobbyBG [2501930]
Having it as an item you get from Hawaii would be good - although Japan probably makes more sense of a location for an exotic poison.
Beerstein [1322136]
If a min-max type player comes into the game 100% aware of it, I could definitely see that as it's the only RNG thing to reroll in Torn. I'd guess AB- or A+ depending on prices at the time.

Likely wanted to use as many as possible including the cheapest ones while also being able to sell and didn't realize how low the profit is on selling or would have settled for anything not AB+
Beerstein [1322136]
Just gonna add one that I saw as a problem but no one ever really voiced it to Ched which is the combat/gym system which I saw as a serious problem, the gym cap removal addressed it though. So he resolved that one without us begging him to when in reality, we probably should have been.
Private_Joker [2488283]
Farms only being valuable at 10*s and having 0 value below that with the limit of 10* companies being a percentage of them, the more successful the ones there are, the harder it is to hit 10* driving owners out, total farms down, available farms down into a death spiral. Many easy fixes swapping 7 and 10* specials would be the easiest and lower farms would simply have less job points to spend.
Lot of companies have this, you just happen to work in a farm). I also personally dont like companies that are heavily 10* oriented. I hope Ched will keep reworking companies similar to Strip Clubs to move their power from 10*.
Beerstein [1322136]
I figured a few might, just wasn't sure which were all impacted by it, and I'm sure the new companies sped it up a bit. Like you say I just know how bad farms are with 0 profits and 0 specials below 10 worth spending on as well as the one at 10* being valuable at specific periods of time depending on the players (war/combat events)
Arete [2675335]
The chasm of older players wealth and the ability of newer players to generate wealth. I’ve read a lot has been changed over the years that limits players abilities to generate wealth. This is an issue. In real life societies fall from wealth disparity and even I have had temptations of checking out of this game because the ladder to move up to the levels of older players isn’t the same.
Fishbum [2009144]
Or remove AB+ as an available blood type and randomly reassign affected players one time. No new items or mechanics needed. You could even explain it by there being some sort of genetic mutation in Torn due to being cut off from neighboring regions or polluted drinking water that only affected one blood type.
ahhua [60827]
Change Blood Type needs to be fun.
Add it to wheel of awesome, since its so awesome it can change blood type.

[image: i.imgur.com]

Let Leslie drains your blood and fill you up with a random blood type.
Boom! funny and fun!
SirEdge [2609907]
In real societies, folks die and pass their wealth to the next generation. Between the 2nd and the 3rd generation, most families hit a weak link and the remains of whatever fortune exists are generally squandered.
SirEdge [2609907]
Thanks for calling out how the best way to progress as a racer is the TV network. That needs to change, but the top racers all hate the idea- I've had some straight up tell me they will quit Torn if that special gets messed with because it is their main goal looking forward.

And therein is the rub- folks are going to make plans and expectations around what is and if it is taken away, there might be precious little left that appeals to them.
Akanoid [2425950]
About Farm company type...

Isn't switching 10* perk to 7* devaluating the company type?

Cause there would be no reason to choose Candle over Farm, when 7e per jp comes too easy, 49e at 7* per day.

The trade off is consistency. Farm has more e but limited to 1 week. Candle has less e but can use it at any given time, it is pretty balanced.

I think the reason Farm is so unpopular is no pay and below 10* is garbage. We can fix that (same with music), by increase income, so employees can get pay, and buff 1*-7* perks.
Fermion [2691036] Officer Officer
Yep. It's a long term game with long term plans. Any change has to be really well thought out and not just be random

Chain cooldown respect being removed was such a weird change I'm still baffled by why it was needed and why the Devs stubbornly stuck to it.