Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

!Marriage Update!

Started by Harlot [2915346] on in Suggestions.

22 replies · 315 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
43 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
62 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Harlot [2915346]
I really enjoy my partner they are the best and we have hit it off in the game, we have each other’s backs, communicate daily, help, and inspire, ect…


That being said, I noticed marriage is almost like a badge to wear for a merit in Torn. It dose not come with any inherent risk or tangible benefit(s). I have seen people who have been married for hundreds and even a 1000 days but they have never even sent one piece of mail to one another (I know you can use chats but still there is something to be said about that) I have also seen people married multiple times …I think there is a unique opportunity to develop a fun, beneficial, and even a risky element to the game.


Ability to view all of each others stats: Strength, Speed, Dexterity, ect…

Alerts when your significant other places bounties.

Alerts if your significant other is attacked.
Then prompt a screen “Would you like to retaliate?” YES NO

ONLY FOR MARRIED COUPLES: A new purchasable upgrade for properties a “Closet” similar to the display case that you can both access. With more expensive properties the closet upgrade scales in available “space”.


A few new “Bonnie and Clyde” crimes. Similar to the faction crimes that you can plan together. With matching Merit.
These could be something like:
“Scam a tourist”
“Jewelry store heist”
“Insurance fraud”
“Steal from adult store”


Display exact anniversary date on profiles


A wedding ring that your significant other can upgrade almost like the “piggy bank” you can always add to it but once you “pawn” it and receive the money put in it, it’s gone, this can only be pawned after divorce. (Not sure if it should display the value or not either way could be fun)

On that note, divorces should be displayed some how some where like the name changes so it carries with you much like a real one.


A few options to do together (once daily, requires both to activate similar to a trade)


Cook Together = temporary HP boost/fill missing HP


Exercise Together = spend energy to refill nerve


Consummate marriage or “Movie and Chill” = spend x/5 energy to gain x/10


Shop together = spend nerve to gain energy


Exchange gifts = spend cash for happiness gain


On anniversary date:
Celebrate Together = fill energy Bar, nerve, happiness, and health 100%


As days go by in marriage you gain “points” that can be spent on certain statistical boost like when upgrading factions with respect. (I’m on the fence about this as it would be a disadvantage to being single which isn’t always the case, right?) these would reset and be lost if divorced.


Hope this is well received and I’m capable of handling criticism so if something would be damaging to the game or should be tweaked to make sense no hard feelings here!
JackKelly [2271177]
Nothing is stopping you and your partner from doing activities together, there's just no in-game benefits.

Your suggestions are interesting, and it's obvious you put some thought into them. Which is way more than I can say for most suggestions, so well done in that regard. That being said, there are many people that are not only content with never speaking to their spouse, but actually prefer it. I dig my spouse, but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on in-game benefits by not communicating with them everyday. Also, keep in mind, this is a long game. After a few years, and you've run out of things to talk to your spouse about, then it'll just become a chore to line up these activities.

I just don't feel the whole marriage mechanic is something that needs brought to the foreground of the game. I'm glad it's there, but I'm also fine with it staying something that happens in the background without requiring any additional attention.



Lol, have to comment on the irony of someone named Harlot suggesting buffs to the marriage mechanic.
Harlot [2915346]
Your right Jack, it is funny the coincidence of my name and my play style/suggestion hahaha I really appreciate the acknowledgment of my effort and thought. Thank you. I too feel the same about most suggestions.

With all due respect though you have more or less proven my point. The marriage feature means almost nothing. No more than a participation trophy. Why have a feature in the game that means so little? With that mind set we should just advocate for it to be removed if it’s something people could play their entire existence and never entertain. Participating in the task of the marriage feature would be no more a choice than using the flying feature, the casino, the stock market. These are things you can choose to do or choose not to do. If you see regular interaction with your spouse as a labored task then you could still simply choose not to do it.

I hope to win you over if not in interest in the potential functionality of it wherein it provides all new content (new content you can choose to engage in or not) and concepts that enriches the interaction between players.

Maybe my spouse and I are unicorns but we will always find things to talk about. :p
JackKelly [2271177]
You don't have to try to win me over. I do prefer the current system, but I'm not really against your suggestion either. I'll be able to adapt to it easy enough.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread to begin with, but figured the effort you put into it was worth an explanation at least. I don't speak for anyone else, I just wanted to express my viewpoint that may summarize why your suggestion is having trouble catching on. I do wish you luck with it.
BrandyQHQ [2899416]
I like the idea of this so much, although i'd say some of those activities maybe once a week or every 2 weeks versus everyday. Because the above person is right, this is a long term game and it'd be difficult to always arrange schedules daily or what have u for a lot of players.