I'm going to try word this so I don't sound like a disgruntled old man.
So this should be easier to digest because it's a game, and many of you have dumped years into this clicking mug hosp leave. If someone created a script that let them save 5 hours of hunting RW turtles and did it for them in 5 minutes, you'd be pissed too. I choose to play the role of a GFX artist, a pioneer who sold about 1000+ sigs from 08-11. I got level 100s popping up to me telling me they bought sigs off me 15 years ago at level 10, helped inspire them to make their own/build a collection etc. My aim this time round is to do the same, help some artists where possible and come back in 10 years to see some giants.
I also want to do my part and make sure my people eat. The collab auction gave me the opportunity to look into the minds of artists via PSDs. Those guys put a lot of TIME into their work, effort too. Your effort and my effort is different, right? You might see a novice piece and think oh that took no effort. Just because it takes you 2 minutes to create something, it could take a novice a lot more time.
AI will kill off real artists, real fast. Especially the novice ones. The good ones will also see their orders depleted, as the unknowing mass go to what they think looks cool- and flock to the AI artists over the clearly-below average learning novice workers.
"I want a man wearing a hockey mask, holding a baseball bat. Purple colours and some red"
So for a novice, who is already paranoid about their work up against some of the heavyweights, would overthink- spend a lot of time looking for the perfect picture. Then they'd spend ages trying to get the baseball bat into the image- and then colour correction could take forever. After all that, because of their lack of experience, their work is average at best. An AI artist, they type the request into an engine and it gives them the 10 results to choose from, all if which are much more aesthetically pleasing than the novice. They could then "adjust" the image by changing colours and adding text.
If AI is used to create resources, I won't argue its use. A texture, lighting, render, vector? Cool, why not. I'm probably using textures that were generated by AI without knowing? But when I see AI artists generate a "character"- ready made with background and everything, then slap a text on it. I will step in and call bullshit, even if it brings me aggro. And I advise all other real artists to do the same.
Are slap on text artists any better? No. But I'm talking about the ones that find ready made sigs and slap text on. Or the ones that Google "cool background"- put a render on top and and some text. That's a nono.
Unknowing customers flock to the graphics forum, having never had a sig in their life, and will jump at the sight of some of these AI generated gfx. During the collab I spoke to many talented artists that were struggling to get customers. But I see people with AI images everywhere. AI only became prevalent a year or so ago, in the next 2/3 years it will be far, far more advanced and completely kill off amateur artists trying to get customers, hell even your cl3ric0ls, LSDs and Jetz will see a decline in footfall if we don't do something about it when it creeps into this forum.
I want to make it clear this is nothing personal, I've spoken to some good people that do AI art- but I'll die on my shield to ensure the people that spend time learning, improving and put in a lot of effort benefit rather than "let me type what I want and have a generator create it" artists.
F*cking robots. I'll bump this till I turn blue in the face.
Customers- when artists send you a graphic, always put it into a reverse image search engine and see what comes up. But a lot of AI art is unique so won't flag up, it's down to artists to smell the BS and call it out.
https://soundcloud.com/cvbadmans/aicantdoit
So this should be easier to digest because it's a game, and many of you have dumped years into this clicking mug hosp leave. If someone created a script that let them save 5 hours of hunting RW turtles and did it for them in 5 minutes, you'd be pissed too. I choose to play the role of a GFX artist, a pioneer who sold about 1000+ sigs from 08-11. I got level 100s popping up to me telling me they bought sigs off me 15 years ago at level 10, helped inspire them to make their own/build a collection etc. My aim this time round is to do the same, help some artists where possible and come back in 10 years to see some giants.
I also want to do my part and make sure my people eat. The collab auction gave me the opportunity to look into the minds of artists via PSDs. Those guys put a lot of TIME into their work, effort too. Your effort and my effort is different, right? You might see a novice piece and think oh that took no effort. Just because it takes you 2 minutes to create something, it could take a novice a lot more time.
AI will kill off real artists, real fast. Especially the novice ones. The good ones will also see their orders depleted, as the unknowing mass go to what they think looks cool- and flock to the AI artists over the clearly-below average learning novice workers.
"I want a man wearing a hockey mask, holding a baseball bat. Purple colours and some red"
So for a novice, who is already paranoid about their work up against some of the heavyweights, would overthink- spend a lot of time looking for the perfect picture. Then they'd spend ages trying to get the baseball bat into the image- and then colour correction could take forever. After all that, because of their lack of experience, their work is average at best. An AI artist, they type the request into an engine and it gives them the 10 results to choose from, all if which are much more aesthetically pleasing than the novice. They could then "adjust" the image by changing colours and adding text.
If AI is used to create resources, I won't argue its use. A texture, lighting, render, vector? Cool, why not. I'm probably using textures that were generated by AI without knowing? But when I see AI artists generate a "character"- ready made with background and everything, then slap a text on it. I will step in and call bullshit, even if it brings me aggro. And I advise all other real artists to do the same.
Are slap on text artists any better? No. But I'm talking about the ones that find ready made sigs and slap text on. Or the ones that Google "cool background"- put a render on top and and some text. That's a nono.
Unknowing customers flock to the graphics forum, having never had a sig in their life, and will jump at the sight of some of these AI generated gfx. During the collab I spoke to many talented artists that were struggling to get customers. But I see people with AI images everywhere. AI only became prevalent a year or so ago, in the next 2/3 years it will be far, far more advanced and completely kill off amateur artists trying to get customers, hell even your cl3ric0ls, LSDs and Jetz will see a decline in footfall if we don't do something about it when it creeps into this forum.
I want to make it clear this is nothing personal, I've spoken to some good people that do AI art- but I'll die on my shield to ensure the people that spend time learning, improving and put in a lot of effort benefit rather than "let me type what I want and have a generator create it" artists.
F*cking robots. I'll bump this till I turn blue in the face.
Customers- when artists send you a graphic, always put it into a reverse image search engine and see what comes up. But a lot of AI art is unique so won't flag up, it's down to artists to smell the BS and call it out.
https://soundcloud.com/cvbadmans/aicantdoit