Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Collecting Press Pass data

Started by Chuck_Norris [2544593] on in General Discussion.

53 replies · 1.76k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 54 / 54 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Chuck_Norris [2544593]
And hence why I collected data and analysed the expected return (xR) based on a large pool of job points.

But ofc, RNJeesus can always get his dildo on and smack you about.
pussy [2797641]
so would this counter Candle for top end players, considering it’s a decent pay job + can give mini SE and energy?

I mean some of the bonuses are shit (like box of tissues) but still
Chuck_Norris [2544593]
I'm actually trying to maths this in a meaningful way.

The thing is that the reliability of getting 500e per day when it's needed is REALLY useful. If you're a player who wars regularly or has need to build up a pool of points for future use, it's hard to compete with any job perk that gives e, like a candleshop.

Once I have a better way to accurately portray this comparison, I'll post it here :)
bogie [148747] Admin Staff
One winning factor to consider for press pass is that, if you have enough job points, it's the only job special giving energy that doesn't have a daily limit.
RonBurgundy [71545]
This. I put in ~475 hits in a fast 25k chain and still had 0 booster CD. Glorious.

Do it at Halloween if I had my time again but this was 2016.

IMO it is the single best special in the game, balanced well by being usable 2.66 times a week. Stock up 2k+ points at a time and just enjoy the glory.
Chuck_Norris [2544593]
Interestingly, Press Pass really rewards patient players.

Looking at the job points gained from a TV station, assuming it fluctuates between 9* and 10* vs a stable 10* Candleshop, you actually get more e from the Candleshop per year than you do from the TV station.

What this doesn't account for is that if you don't spend your job points for a few years while you get your stats to SE range, you can still burn those years worth of job points during a single Halloweek and get the benefit of a huge potential pool of e. This also helps maximize the benefit of the Mini SE which is increasingly effective the higher your stats are.

Having said this, there is always the counter argument of opportunity cost of not using the job points and the potential of compounding on yearly nw gains by using job points every year.

Some of the reasons which make comparing Press Pass and a Candleshop quite difficult.
RonBurgundy [71545]
Good points, too. TV is definitely for patient players and is a growth job. The daily pay at a TV will be way better, so you're getting $10-20m weekly while you wait.

I like the flexibility and additional bonuses, like the mini SE and racing skill points - milk it to do well in the URT and that is big profit, too.

Still only 50e per day at a Candle in gained points, but you can stack it up and it is guaranteed. Would hate to really want 300e to save a chain and spend 500 points without an MCS, for example. Pulling an MCS every 2.66 days would be double the energy but it's only 1/11 per 25 points (I do believe all outcomes are fairly equally weighted even if they present with a fairly random distribution because RNG).

Candle is reliable DPS, TV is unreliable and bursty, probably the best I could phrase the trade off :p
Chuck_Norris [2544593]
I'm currently collecting more data about gym trains over 3b in a stat to compare against the mini SE gains. I will post this as a comparison once I have more data and a data nerd to help me do a proper statestical analysis on it.

Been talking to RG who's confirmed that the payouts are all equal, so the variance in the table is not statestically significant :(

Ultimately, the 2 companies offer quite different perks and are hard to compare directly. E on tap is versatile, but it won't give you 50 3.5 hour races worth of RS for 25 points (as an example). And as you say, just needing 25e to make a hit, and having to burn hundreds of job points on press pass and not getting a Smoog payout would be annoying AF.
RonBurgundy [71545]
HRG is the same 'feast or famine' result due to the equal weighting on each outcome (1/13 for any property each tick). Makes it either incredibly meh or I get 9 P.I's in 5 years (I really did).

Subbed to the thread, always appreciate people breaking these things down objectively. Looking forward to the analysis being posted :)
SporkMonkey [2065017]
Not logging into that report with a full API key, but here's mine:

Free Meal x11
Racing Level x5
BCT x8
LBC x 8
eDVD x5
Crime XP x9
Nerve x2
Happiness x4
100 Casino Tokens x6
Tissues x8
Duke Loan Increase x7 (1.05 bil current)
Items List in City x9
Work Stat x2
Mini SE x3
Solaris [459981]
Reward Count %
Happy 64 8.93
BCT 63 8.79
LBC 62 8.65
Energy 54 7.53
Work Stats 52 7.25
City Finds 52 7.25
EDVD 51 7.11
Box of Tissues 50 6.97
Tokens 48 6.69
Racing Skill 46 6.42
Credit Score 46 6.42
Crime XP 44 6.14
Nerve 43 6.00
Battle Stats 42 5.86
Total 717 100.00