Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Fields missing from the hof api

Started by jtower [2287159] on in Bugs & Issues.

8 replies · 210 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 9 / 9 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
9
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
21
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
8
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
33 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100

Most-liked replies

jtower [2287159]
https://api.torn.com/user/?selections=hof

{"halloffame": {"attacks": {},"battlestats": {},"busts": {},"defends": {},"networth": {},"offences": {},"revives": {},"traveltime": {},"workstats": {},"level": {},"rank": {},"respect": {},"chains": {}}}

Comparing the results with the list here https://www.torn.com/halloffame.php
- awards and factionrank fields are missing in the API
- respect should be factionrespect (to be consistent)
- chains does not actually exist: api returns 0. Should it be factionchains instead?
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I've removed the faction stats that we're having trouble with, changing this selection to correctly show all of the user's HOF data.

I've tried to get the faction chains and ranks to work, but I've been unsuccessful and currently we don't have a developer available to resolve it.

Thanks.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
What's broken? Are apps actually using that rogue 'respect' HOF? I don't know how I can be expected to read minds here.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I can revert the changes if this is an emergency, but this is getting really f**king tedious. I don't know how to work like this. I can either try to fix the API and continuously make it better, or leave everything how it is permanently. I can't tiptoe around like this, or ask permission before I make any changes - I don't know which specific scripts are using what specific fields. I'm busy enough as it is.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
Don't forget, I'm here for you - I'm doing this work for you - the developers that use Torn's API. I really don't appreciate that attitude.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
I don't know if apps are actually using that field, but the field has been there for over 8 months as that when I documented it for myself so it's not unlikely that someone is. It might be fine in this case, but it might not be either, we both don't know.

I can revert the changes if this is an emergency, but this is getting really f**king tedious. I don't know how to work like this. I can either try to fix the API and continuously make it better, or leave everything how it is permanently. I can't tiptoe around like this, or ask permission before I make any changes - I don't know which specific scripts are using what specific fields. I'm busy enough as it is.
I don't think it's as critical here to revert.

It's not about asking permission, but letting us know that stuff will very likely break. Some changes are more critical and should be communicated sooner, but the fact we need to either read B&I threads or potentially our error logs to know that you've pushed a breaking change. We have "Ched's API changes that could break our tools" for a reason. Unlike new additions to the API, waiting on the patch notes isn't really viable either.
Currently the development community relies on someone to read your B&I replies, post in the "TornAPI" Discord that I own and that way someone from my team can notify everyone with an @everyone ping in there.

Don't forget, I'm here for you - I'm doing this work for you - the developers that use Torn's API. I really don't appreciate that attitude.
I do know that you've put quite some work in the API already, all for us to be able to develop tools, and I do appreciate the result. But that doesn't mean that I enjoy the way we always get to the result. Broken tools result in us getting complaints. If it's our fault or we rely on stuff that we can assume change (like stuff on the page itself and using classnames and ids) then that's fine. But if it's because you've pushed a breaking change to the api that we didn't get any notice about then it does cause us a lot of frustration as we often have to look for the cause as well.

I might have worded my message a bit too harshly though, and I do apologize for that.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
I don't know if apps are actually using that field

I considered whether this change should be mentioned in that thread. I determined it to be highly unlikely that any script would be dependent on the 'respect' HOF while one other was broken, and a third was missing. Considering that there's no mention that this particular change has actually caused an issues for any developers, I think I was correct in my determination.

Any changes that I think may cause issues for developers, I'll continue to mention in that thread.