Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Does this actually work?

Started by Shooby [2510470] on in General Discussion.

98 replies · 2.63k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 99 / 99 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
99
Discussion span
→
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
65 / 100
Engagement score
80 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Flak [2091491] ×1 Shooby [2510470] ×1 Player 2512030 [2512030] ×1

Shooby [2510470]
Genuinely curious if this obnoxious method of recruitment actually works for anyone? If so, on average how much time and how many copy/pastes do you have to send out before you get a positive response?

This is just a portion of my FIRST page of messages I've received.
These people (assuming they aren't just scripted bots) have to know it's annoying soliciting mails; I can't imagine the turnout is very rewarding. Either way, I'm glad they increased the ignore list cap; seems like I'm trending for just about all of SMTH company holders to be on it.
[image: i.ibb.co]
flare [2195157] Officer Officer
I have absolutely no data to back this up, but in my mind yes. If people are doing something majority of the time its because it will eventually lead to the result they want.

Think of it like spam emails irl. Sure 99% of people will just ignore them, but they only need that 1 or even 0.1% of people to follow through to make it worth the time invested
Shooby [2510470]
I don't expect to be approached, solicitation it's self is the topic of subject. If I wanted to join a company, I would quite literally just go do it. I don't need someone asking.
ChillySpunc [1905415]
It is actually incredibly effective. It may be annoying for you but it's essential to actually run a company, no one reads job listings or job threads, they expect directors to do all the work so spamming people is the only way to hire unless you have a company where the perks are in high demand.

When I was a director I wouldn't contact people who had a profile pic or their personal details stated they weren't looking for a job, I ain't scrolling all the way down on hundreds of profiles.

It may not be fun for you but I assure you it's a lot worse for the director.
Shooby [2510470]
It makes sense from the perspective of a director and even more so targeting new players who may not know about companies, jobs specials work stats and stuff like that.
I guess I'm more curious what the odds soliciting people into your company who aren't in that demographic are. Obviously I know the game and I'm choosing not to be in a company for a reason, as most others like myself. If we wanted to be in one, we would be.
AtomicGarou [2871120]
Speaking as a person who does this it is the only way to really recruit other then camping the looking for work forum and compete with 30 other people paying 5m for someone who doesn't have stats worth 5m
RealTeel [3008047]
I feel like it is probably more effective with newer players. As an experienced player, what would a company be able to offer you that you wouldn't know you could already have if you wanted?
hemi [2165616]
You sound like you're looking to join a company. Lucky for you I have 1 spot open, don't be a stranger!
Wenno [2757277]
It does genuinely work. I don't use this method anymore personally, but in the past it has worked. As all recruitment methods, it takes time. It probably takes less time than using the recruitment thread though. Probably have more success than messaging people from the recruitment thread too.
RacistPigeon [2221019]
i used this previously for company hiring and used it more recently to recruit for my faction, it does work :) it is a grind though...
Cheesus [505043] Wiki Contributor
[image: i.ibb.co]

what if you just so happen to be looking for a spot in a 2* fireworks stand? Can't know without asking. If I were a director I would not want to miss out on such a valuable, hard-working, good-looking, make-my-company-numbies-go-up employee.
Hopslam [795412]
Doing all that is not worth the time and effort from Director side, I got tired of it after like 1 day of sending like 40 messages once back in the day

only ones that would legit do that long term would be ones that have some sort of tools/software to help with this task, it’s beyond tedious to do that without
Shooby [2510470]
Yeah I've never had the desire to run a company knowing the amount of tedium it is to run it successfully. Keeping employees with the company; especially as some people grow out of the job specials they're there for, keeping people rehabbing, staying active and managing train distribution, etc.

Kind surprised to hear it's actually a pretty reliable method (excluding the fact that I know it's more applicable to new players). I've never accepted and probably wouldn't accept a job offer since it's specified on my profile that I will ignore list anyone who messages me about it.
Generally speaking if I'm looking for a job I'll go the recruitment forums first, granted I'll only usually browse the first two pages. If nothing I want is there, I'll search out company listings and specifically contact directors with company titles with hiring or recruiting, etc.
Lith [2137694]
It's basically required to run a company. Yes, it does work, no the return per mail sent is very low. I've sent thousands of mails, running my rig.

While I can see why it's annoying, it's something you'll have to live with. You can block people who send you mail, but there's no way to block all mail, far as I am aware.

I do feel like with the ability to turn off DMs, you should also be able to turn off direct mails. I've had a few people get really upset when I send them a job offer. Most people are polite about it, and I do my best to not spam people over and over with them.

Easiest thing to do is straight ignore them if not interested. Nobody will be offended, they're sending these out to many many people.
Shooby [2510470]
You care enough to acknowledge me every time I post in a forum or speak in a public chat.
Rent free.