Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Plagiarized comics

Started by _s10th [2672837] on in General Discussion.

153 replies · 5.7k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 154 / 154 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
154
Discussion span
→
Authority score
62 / 100
Historical score
46 / 100
Story score
69 / 100
Engagement score
86 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

WhiteFox060428 [2924182] ×3 slockins101 [2365446] ×2 Rx_Kurxy [3157084] ×2 ARMAGEDDON33 [3157416] ×1

_s10th [2672837]
I just came back from a year long hiatus a few weeks ago.

Back when I was active, one of my flying pastimes was reading through the newspaper's comics. One of my favorite artists at the time was slockins101, who has sadly since passed away.

So imagine my surprise when I opened up the newspaper today and saw this?????
[image: i.imgur.com]
Obviously it's not slockins, so how tf did it get there?? Turns out some random newb (Rx_Kurxy) straight up ripped slockins' comic and submitted it as their own work (if you don't believe it's slockins' check his gallery)
[image: i.imgur.com]
This is an incredibly shitty thing to do and it's extremely disrespectful.

However, in addition to being shitty on the plagiarizer's part, how the f**k did this get past the reviewal phase??? You'd think that with an extremely well known artist with a very unique/distinct style and very recognizable OC's it'd be an easy catch. I'm sure that literally anyone who read the comics from like 2021-2023 would immediately recognize a slockins comic, ESPECIALLY the newspaper staff. But apparently not; so long as it looks good, it's accepted and awarded.

And then I clicked on the recent economist's article and saw this shit
[image: i.imgur.com]
Look familiar? I thought so too, so I went digging. Turns out, this comic was actually created like 3 years ago by Mayne_00, but was ripped and resubmitted by WhiteFox060428. (however, the art style of this one isn't too recognizable so I can understand this one being missed)
[image: i.imgur.com]
But still; the plagiarized copy not only passed the reviewal stage but won an economist's award??????

And I'm sure there's been many more that've gone unnoticed. Imo this is completely unacceptable; it's completely disrespectful to the original artists and these plagiarizers are getting rewarded with merits and cash for literally ripping old comics and resubmitting them.

There needs to be a major change in how comics are reviewed, otherwise people will just keep plagiarizing comics and submitting them as their own.

...

anyways

thank u for coming to my tedtalk

...
update:
[image: i.imgur.com]
...
update 2:
lol
[image: i.imgur.com]

Mentions: Rx_Kurxy [3157084] · slockins101 [2365446] · WhiteFox060428 [2924182]

Kaneki [2685512]
aint no way, imagine sucking so hard. You have to scroll through the article to find probably someone who won to actually win, hella scummy and sad for the artist hard work.
nuxx [3054747]
for some reason this sort of thing, more so than most scams/etc that happen in this game, really upset me.

23:38:47 - 21/04/24 You used 25 energy attacking WhiteFox060428 and hospitalized them (chain #1) [view]
masheen [2625139]
It was bound to happen as I don't believe there is a system in place to prevent this other than sugarvalves' memory and familiarity with everyone's work.
_s10th [2672837]
surely there's a comics archive though? a 5min skim through that could have prevented this.

and also I don't think anyone who's been reading the torn comics could say with a straight face that they don't recognize slockins' style
Wiber [2065939]
Yeah I thought that one the the economist awarded was familiar.

Really hope the prizes are recovered(including the merit) and the offenders get some time in Fed.
NoneStar [1725520]
Unfortunate that they did this, but I don't think it should be staff's responsibility to check 3-5+ years worth of submitted comics to ensure no one has resubmitted someone else's work. Unfortunately it's a faith based system or else it'd grind to a halt. Hopefully they can claw back the rewards and punish as they see fit for blatant theft.
Hogfather [330973]
I think this definately needs to be a fed offence if there's nothing that can fit into it already.

But at the minimum they need the honor and points reward taking away.
Beerson [1576144]
Award all the federal jail time. This should result in account deletion. It's not an accident or mistake, it's a willful disregard for the rules, staff and common decency.

Also an apology from whoever put together the article, it's their job to weed out blatant plagiarism.