Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Important Useless Data

Started by Nurv [669537] on in General Discussion.

27 replies · 1.29k views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
28 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Nurv [669537]

As I was working on some project and had to populate torn data, I gathered some information that I will share with you. 

As of the time of writing this post:

 

This game has: 

 

  • 57'170 Active players ( being active within the last 24 hours )
  • 56'467 Half active players ( last active between 1 day ago and 30 days ago )
  • 1'893'614 Inactive players ( last active 31+ days )
  • 1'417'539 Invalid ID's 

    - The longest chain of  consecutive invalid ID is 28' 872 

    [image: snipboard.io]

 

In a 24 hours period, Torn is gaining between 600 to sometimes 1'000+ new players. (Numbers fluctuate here) 

 

 

 

 

Patient [2131539]

It might seem like a lot but you need to consider player retention as well. While there's no barrier to create an account other than an email address, but there is a pretty significant barrier to finding the game enjoyable.

 

Of those 600-1000 new players daily, how many of them actually stick around for more than an hour? A day? A week? Two weeks?

 

How many people see the ads that promises a cool crime game and create an account or download it from their app store only to find out it's really just a text-based clicker game. That has got to cut out a significant portion of those new accounts.

 

Then there's people who try it out for a week and don't like it or get distracted by a different game and forget it exists or just think its not worth the time just stop for a myriad of reasons.

 

The game only just last year started to surpass its peak 15 years ago after dropping to a third, I'm guessing in part due to an aggressive advertising push.

 

 

Nurv [669537]

I completely agree ! 

Retention rate is not very high ! 60% of those new members haven't been back in 17 + hours. I would assume based on other data, they will not log back in. 

 

Either that (Ad pushing) or some people are working really hard on getting those merits ! 

 

But yeah, even some active player sometimes stop playing the game for a while, so not expecting much from new players. 

pussy [2797641]

it’s a shame, because i think a big reason why the changes we see pushed are directly linked to players incoming at a large influx 

 

it makes it feel like a throwaway when there’s always another player, whale, or otherwise that’s able to replace long term consistent bases 

Prile [2383169]

The game is great, but it needs some time investment. New players need to get hooked on for more than 1 month and they will need to progress in that 1 month, during that 1 month if they find a suitable faction for them that will help them grow - they are very likely to stay for the long run, otherwise they will give up when they see how far behind are they compared to an account that is even 1 year old.

b1zon [2504699]

Honestly i'd consider half-active to be max 5-7 days. Anyone not logging in at least once a week from work/school/out of boredom isn't any type of active imo. See what results you get then :)

stax [1132977]

Yeah, I feel  like a more accurate line for active/half-active might be more like 48 or 72 hours. Someone who missed a single day because they're traveling or something is not 'half active'

Knirt [3033570]

I think the new player experience needs a lot of work.  In most games there is a path that new players expect to get them in the right orientation to enjoy the game. 

 

Torn has very little of this.  Also due to the way factions are different here than in most games, as well as the lack of protection from general trolls a new player just does not get the right experience.   They will likely end up in a low faction ran by someone not much better than them.  By the time they could have learned what their doing wrong the lack of progress slow growth and just feeling weak...they quit because they just didn't have a good understanding before the new game smell faded.

Nurv [669537]

Of course ! 

Was working on a project that can help in company hiring and faction recruiting. 

All data was gathered through direct API calls. This Data was up-to-date up until I wrote the post. 
If I check again now, the numbers will most probably look different. 


Draven3141 [3408732]

I don't know about others but I like this game, I reminds me of playing dungeons and dragons many years ago( too many to count), there was you and a few sheets of paper, and your whole life was in front of you., to me Torn is like that but using technology.

I for one will continue to play if for no other reason that to see how far I can go as a character but also to help the faction and company I work with and for.

Lohkee [2549042]

New players means more flyers and increased plushie and flower set supply, clearly a diabolical scheme meant to tank the price of points further.