Yes, the price of imported goods and materials will rise. So what?
That makes prices go up.
That's the point, to incentivize domestic production. So it takes a few years? Okay... is that a problem?
You’ve ignored the other part of the post that says it not guaranteed, and even if domestic production comes to the US prices go up.
Also the problem with it taking a few years, is do you still think people are going to vote R at the next election if they’ve had 4 years of massive price rises?
- You clearly believe that the EU's tariffs on Chinese EVs are beneficial, why would the same tariffs in the US not be just as beneficial?
Because the EUs tariffs are targeted to a specific market to protect it. Rather than a blanket tariff to replace traditional taxation.
- Either the US coffers get larger, or Chinese EV manufacturers set up shop in the US to avoid it, or, more likely, if you weren't trying to tell people from another country what's best for them without actually knowing enough about it, you'd already know that there's almost no market in the US for Chinese automobiles.
I wasn’t suggesting anything to do with the US market and Chinese EVs. I was using it as an example of tariffs being used effectively.
Honestly I thought it was massively obvious it was an example, but if you’re struggling let me know and I’ll preface when I’m using examples with “EXAMPLE:” So you don’t find yourself confused.
- What do you think minimum wage should be?
I don’t think there’s a magic number in the US, and it would have to be judged state by state, because of the massive differences in costs in each state. EXAMPLE: 100k may be able to get you a 3 bed detached house in Detroit, or get you a parking space in NYC.
I think the aim should be to ensure the min wage in each state would allow someone enough money to work a 40 Hr/week job and be able to live modestly. Rent/mortgage, food, bills paid with a small amount for entertainment and savings.