Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Upcoming API changes - discussion

Started by splent [2088243] Admin on in API Development.

124 replies · 1.17k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 125 / 125 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

splent [2088243] Admin Staff

I mean idk - maybe Ched will keep crimes v1 and OC's v1 for a few more years, but if I'm not mistaken, when new players join Torn they no longer start with crimes v1, so I'm just assuming everyone will have to switch to OC's 2.0 and crimes 2.0 at some point? 

Wolverine [1971836]

thank you for the response.

 

yeah, if you can keep it in torn api 2.0 people like me would be happy because it's a fun value to read: if  'faction' -> 'crimeexp' api creates any issues then I'll be a bit sad but I guess you can remove it eheheh.

 

From the announcement:

Hidden modifiers involve a combination of battle stats, working stats, general skills, and crime skill levels.

 

Are you saying me that all the crime experience I accumulated in 9 years will be totally useless in OC 2.0?

And that the only thing that counts are crime skills that for each crime everyone is able to reach 100 in a couple of months?

 

Ok, I see battle stats, working stats, they take time to grow.

Then I read "general skills" and I have no idea what they are.

 

I'm very sad that crime experience will become totally useless and that I wasted time by collecting 45,000 warehouse arsons when I could have got money with hacking crime instead.

 

Lol, it's like saying that battle stats will no longer affect attacks because have been introduced new stats that everyone will start growing right now from scratch: we spent years and a lot of money in  premium alcohol to get our crime experience to the top... Chedburn can't just scrap crime experience value... at least he should replace that "general skills" words with "crime experience, and crime experience value must be a thing in OC 2.0.

Allenone [2033011]

Well, new players may join and be on C2.0, but there are many many factions that are on OC1.0 and will remain so, new players will be able to join OC1.0 factions.

 

Anyway, just some food for thought.

 

I still think it should be a forced switch to C2.0 and OC2.0

splent [2088243] Admin Staff

> Are you saying me that all the crime experience I accumulated in 9 years will be totally useless in OC 2.0?

 

Haha - I’m definitely not saying CE is/will be useless. I was just mentioning that other things and the individual playstyle also have effects on the outcome, and in that sense it made no sense to keep this endpoint anymore (because individual success chances are now displayed).

 

Also, as per the announcement - 

 

“Each participant has a Checkpoint Success Rate up to 99% based on their Crime XP and hidden modifiers assigned to each unique role.”

 

So you don’t have to worry about your CE being useless! :)

 

 

Emforus [2535044] Wiki Contributor

The new OCs 2.0 API seems to have something a bit lacking - Completed OCs don't mention the rewards.

(https://api.torn.com/v2/faction/crimes?cat=completed)

 

 

The 1.0 API includes both money and respect rewards in comparison (at the bottom).

(https://api.torn.com/faction/?selections=crimes)

 

I use the money gain data to streamline payouts and track weekly/monthly OC income. Is this by design or were those two datapoints missed by accident? Cheers!

DrChrono [1372430] Committee Committee

Could a "recruited on" timestamp for each user be generated when they join an OC and return in their slots data?

Would like to have it for "total time spent in an OC" metric without having to call regularly and measure

Also echo Emforus above, would be grateful for rewards being added. Lot of member-facing data we used to show for fun in OCs 1.0 used this, and I'd prefer not to parse text from the faction news data

Thanks for the work getting this up and running so quickly after launch!

splent [2088243] Admin Staff

Hey @DrChrono and @Emforus!

 

Thanks for your suggestions - both of these should now be available.

You can see this post for more information: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=63&t=16401584&b=0&a=0&start=260&to=25486674

 

Let me know if you'd like something else or if it's something not working as expected - although I must say I've taken two weeks off, so I might be a bit slower on replying/fixing/implementing new stuff in the upcoming couple of weeks.


Happy criminal holidays! :D 

Mentions: Upcoming API changes

Adobi [2443510]

Could the user object include current progress for their role? I could calculate it with order of joining and timestamps but would be much easier to just have it there.

GoodLuck [2356929]

I have a questions about the API2.0 of oc2.0

for example https://api.torn.com/v2/faction/crimes?key= &cat=completed&offset=0

when we want to get the completed oc2.0 using the above link, will the API return all the completed oc2.0 or only return the completed oc2.0 in a time range?

if it return all the completed oc2.0, so, after many years, the return data will be very huge.

How to resolve this problem? how to use the offset?

Deatvert [2684760] Officer Officer

It would be good to have an explicit "completed_at" addition as well for OC 2.0. 

 

00:32:04 - 04/01/25 You and your team successfully completed Natural Selection III's Stage Fright scenario [view]

 

API for that crime returned

     "created_at": 1735426808,
      "initiated_at": 1735427179,
      "ready_at": 1735945579,
      "expired_at": 1735686008,

ready_at is Friday, January 3, 2025 11:06:19 PM, or around 1hr16m before I got the event. Not sure what was the root cause of the difference (but for member-time-in calculations it would be good to have a timestamp for when the OC actually runs. 

Airwalker2662 [3320076]

Will the API for OC 2.0 be available for all at some point? Looks like it's set for faction access only. I'm asking in reference to having TornTools getting access to the time data for displaying completion timer in sidebar, as with OC 1.0.

splent [2088243] Admin Staff

Hey,

 

I've taken some time off, so I was a bit slow on replies. So,

@Adobi
> Could the user object include current progress for their role? I could calculate it with order of joining and timestamps but would be much easier to just have it there.

Yes, I should be able to add that soon.

@GoodLuck

if it return all the completed oc2.0, so, after many years, the return data will be very huge.

How to resolve this problem? how to use the offset?

I should be able to provide an additional filtering by timestamps in the future if necessary (not a huge priority right now, but you do have a good point).

 

 

@Deatvert

It would be good to have an explicit "completed_at" addition as well for OC 2.0. 

 

Not sure what was the root cause of the difference (but for member-time-in calculations it would be good to have a timestamp for when the OC actually runs.

That makes sense. I'll see if I can add that, and - it's possible one of the players didn't have the required item, delaying the crime until he got it.

 

 

@Airwalker2662

Will the API for OC 2.0 be available for all at some point? Looks like it's set for faction access only. I'm asking in reference to having TornTools getting access to the time data for displaying completion timer in sidebar, as with OC 1.0.

The 'faction' -> 'crimes' for OC 1.0 also requires faction AA permissions. I think what you're referring to was actually coming from 'user' -> 'icons' or 'user' -> 'profile'. It looks like the currently crimes 2.0 don't have icons.

Thanks all!

 

DieselBlade [1701621] Wiki Contributor

We don't seem to be able to retrieve all Faction Crimes (available and completed;) only one or the other.

Is it possible to have an 'all' category? Otherwise we will have to do multiple API calls to get all of the crimes.

RagingRaptor [1522277]

Deprecation warning! 

We'll be removing 'id' & 'uid' from 'market' -> 'itemmarket' selection on Monday, January 20th 2025 in order to reduce the increased usage of mug bots.

 

So, mugging is a crime, automated or not it's a crime and a source of income. Why would you want to stop a 'crime' when the real solution would be people to self hosp etc. That would promote merc business and reduce mugging potentials.

 

All your doing (yet again) is nerfing an income source and removing a crime from a game that is "meant" to be a crime game. 

 

When is torn going to change its recognition from 'crime game' to 'game of snowflakes'.

 

On the torn home page it says "In Torn City you can be anyone and do anything" however clearly that needs changing, as you can't do 'anything' when it comes to income as every source of income keeps getting nerfed. Stocks were hit, mercing was hit, points were hit, mugging was hit, even item market bringing in taxes to reduce profits and now you want to hit mugging again. This game is getting worse and worse each week. It used to be a fcuking great game and now it's just constantly being made sh!tter and sh!tter... Reminds me of the Labour government...

 

WHEN WILL IT STOP

SirJux [2695126]

I guess the main issue lies in that... you are not doing a crime ( mug), some bot does the heavy work for you and you arrive there just for the reward.

 

The API page has also this mentioned:

 

 

Instead of complaining that automated tools that help you mug get picked one by one - just improve. All the money protection methods are mainly added exactly because of those automated bots, because NOTHING goes past them today.

I dont mind the use of tools, but if its automated - straight to the dumpster!!

RagingRaptor [1522277]

Lemme ask you a question. If you are in hosp and you sell something, can I mug you? 

No i can't. Can a bot or a script mug you? Not it also can't.

 

So really, instead of saying I'm complaining about 'automated tools getting picked on' and making that to be a bad thing, the real issue is people too lazy to self hosp. It's so simple yet people decide that they have to moan and comparing about muggers and scripts, when the seller is really the one at fault. It's VERY easy to get an 8hr+ hosp for the same price (roughly) as an SED. So there is no excuse to be unable to sell without getting mugged. Therefore my original comment is just.

SirJux [2695126]

From what I heard, people have made new bots that work on item market...but dont quote me on that. I guess since we both dont use them then we both cant know for sure. It also says "to reduce the increased usage of mug bots" which would mean that new bots have poped up.

 

Although it sure is weird that they still dont address the main mug bots that have been around for years... So dont be worried, once market tax kicks in, more ppl move back to bazaars and Violation can keep on mugging via bot pings.

SirJux [2695126]

wait... people are lazy to self hosp/be on the game to stay safe... "people are lazy"... hmmmmmm...

 

And people who use automated tools are not lazy?