Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Anonymous listing NOT anonymous for some muggers?

Started by Ben_Hagen [2966467] on in General Discussion.

172 replies · 5.2k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 173 / 173 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
173
Discussion span
→
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
42 / 100
Story score
77 / 100
Engagement score
88 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Whom [1832980] ×1 Crell [2487732] ×1 Scooper54 [2594546] ×1 JerryTheG [3390859] ×1

Ben_Hagen [2966467]

Some people talking about mugging and bug-abuse in the Fedded Archives, reminded me of two very suspicious cases I have reported.

In both cases Sirjux starts his mug the moment someone else buys my ANONYMOUS listing. (I had Sirjux blacklisted since long ago, so he can't buy things from me).

 

I sent 2 reports:

 

The admins didn't find anything suspicious, but I tried to motivate them to get to the bottom of it one final time:

 

Bogie didn't reply to this anymore. 

I quit the Property Broker job (no more free anonymous listing) and am back to old-school self-hosping etc.

 

Topics for discussion:

1) Did you have similar experience with ANONYMOUS listing?

2) What can be an explanation for this?

 

 

 

Update:

As two people asked already: no, Sirjux didn't dislike this thread :)

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Skill issue. I bet he just knows you list shit when you go green and action says Now. Do some crimes first and see if he still gets you for anything.

 

Also list a little higher so it doesn't sell immediately upon listing.

 

Actually rereading this, list lower. He knows your pricing.

 

Adding my training image:

 

IndyCision [2597200]

Had a brain fart moment, ignore me.

 

 

Edit: This is strange, 3 dislikes of this post where I had removed my reply within a couple of minutes of posting because I realised "oops, my answer didn't make sense" - where the dislikes were many hours after it.

 

 

Malcolm2023 disliked your post

Anonymous listing NOT anonymou...

yosemiteSAM disliked your post

Anonymous listing NOT anonymo...

tomvin disliked your post

Anonymous listing NOT anonymo...

 

Mentions: Anonymous listing NOT anonymous for some muggers?

Matty_h [48911]

I’ll spill the muggers secret for the lols 

 

You’re on their list now. When anon bulk items are listed and you’re online at the time they’re listed you’re going to get spied cash in hand after they purchase and mugged 

 

Especially as many anon list then go offline so think they’re free. The really smart muggers buy 1 then spy and see if cash on hand has increased if it has then they buy the rest and mug 

 

Source : I’ve mugged a bit 

SirJux [2695126]

atleast somebody gets it :)

 

There is more to it though... all done via game mechanics.

 

if any admin wants to contact me how I did it with game mechanics, feel free to chat me up :)

 

It is my new sport - mugging anon listed items. Dont always succeed, but if you do its rather rewarding.

SWFS [3500613]

1 possible explanation that I can think of is the mugger watching player that is (1) work at property broker with free anonymous listing special, (2) online and (3) not abroad/hosp/jail. and the listing needs to be recent, so he can be sure the one listed is online.



Viciously_Grim [2752611]

The price absolutely does change it if he knows how you price things. If you always list x amount over current mid price, he's going to know it's you. Wait for the sale, or get a buddy to check it. Because who TF is gonna buy those fhcs at that price right now unless they're planning a mug 😂

Ben_Hagen [2966467]

Granted, you mugged me a couple of times after the two cases and missed as I didn't have big tickets on the market.

 

If it's all game mechanics, do we agree that the job special or 10% listing fee are pretty useless for seller protection?

Shooby [2510470]

You should just sell them to the pawnshop. Pinching pennies isn't worth the hassle. 

 

Though there has been recent accusations of bug abuse regarding the market update on the player listed. Its not entirely relevant to this.

 

You're likely just a target. When you dedicate your gameplay to mugging, you notice patterns in player behavior and activity. That is what separates a good mugger, from just a mugger. The amount of seemingly too convenient to be coincidental mugs I've gotten just off people I know are negligent would seem incredibly suspicious to anyone. And I play completely vanilla with no scripts, no add-ons, mobile browser only.

Lohkee [2549042]

They aren't fully anon, they still allow not selling to blacklist that can potentially expose your "anon" listing. This was brought up in bugs forum but ched marked it as "working as intended". Seems as though they are just using the game mechanics as ched intended, lol.

 

If you want to get angry at someone, it's the person that left this in the game despite the community saying it was a bad idea.

 

(Since someone asked later in the thread)

 

Chedburn [1]

Posted on 11:46:58 - 29/10/24 (2 months ago)

 

I don't think so. As it stands, I think it's working exactly as it should. I think allowing anonymous listings to bypass the blacklist restrictions would effectively be creating a bug.

 

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16429012&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=25293562

Mentions: Chedburn [1] · Item Market 2.0 Anonymous listing

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

Oh that too, he probably tried to buy *1* first then got a buddy to buy the rest. Split the mug. About to purge my blacklist 👀

 

Edit enabled purchases/trades. Can't wait for the next time whoolymaestro sends me a trade I guess. that's always a fun free ghost trade for some random amount of time 😂

 

Scooper54 [2594546]

03:02:33 - 05/01/25 You anonymously sold 1x ArmaLite M-15A4 on the Item Market to JerryTheG for $774,999,999 after $86,111,112 in fees.

 

Whom initiated an attack against Scooper5403:03:18

Crell joined the fight against Scooper5403:03:19

 

03:03:26 - 05/01/25 Whom and Crell mugged you and stole $60,865,957 [view]

 

10% anon fee totally worth it

Mentions: Crell [2487732] · JerryTheG [3390859] · Scooper54 [2594546] · Whom [1832980]

Hopslam [795412]

Also my guess, if someone tries to buy from item market something that is anonymously listed, and they are blocked from buying…. Well, I guess they can somewhat easily narrow it down from who has them blacklisted…. Then either get a friend to buy or wait for a random to buy, and mug away…