Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

What is active?

Started by EdvardEdwardian [3653555] on in General Discussion.

21 replies · 413 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
22
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

EdvardEdwardian [3653555]

I have played these kinds of Text-Based MMORPGs for decades, and never once have I gotten a straight and generally agreed upon answer to this seemingly controversial topic.

 

What the absolute heck is "active" to y'all?

 

The most reliable people I've met (very few, like about 2 or 3, maybe 4 if I'm being generous) in all my years have been varied, but typically have said a similar message: "Active is at most 2 or 3 days of inactivity or at least 3 or 4 hours a day while improving your power/wealth steadily."

 

That doesn't seem to be the case here. So please, everyone who sees this, please choose from one of the options below what your definition of "activity." If your answer is more complicated that just one, then yes; do explain in a comment, I'd appreciate it.

 

And yes, I have to include a few "extra" responses, this is how ridiculous I have seen some examples that pop up have been, even when I haven't tried to figure it out.

EdvardEdwardian [3653555]

I understand that sentiment, it's common for many games in the MMORPG genre, but should we, honestly, judge one another for how active we are or how devoted we are to a game compared to our irl priorities? I don't like pointing out people's flaws in such a mean way sometimes (okay, sometimes I do, when someone deserves it) but the way I feel is that if something needs said, then we should be honest with each other when it's something important.

 

Even if the game is all about deceit, corruption, and cutthroat tactics, basic groundwork topics like these don't need to be so convoluted and used to mock each other.

Trashy [2573890]

"Active" for a competitive faction is at a minimum taking two xanax a day.

"Active" for a company is usually logging in once a day.

 

Ofc people go on holiday or have rl stuff so taking a week/month off is fine but expect to get booted out of your faction and company until you come back to being active.

Lady_White [2676391]

So ignore the blue name, because money dropped does not equate to activity. But Torn is a weird one due to how a lot of it is time-gated.

I class myself as active now, and if I'm awake chances are I'm on Torn because why wouldn't I be? it's one tab on my computer regardless if it's my personal one or work one. I'm not focusing on it but it's there if I get a message. If I'm not on my computer, then I have a phone. Even though outside of faction admin and forums, I'm not actually doing much.

But a few years ago, I was the same but exclusively travelled, no other interactions, would you class that as active? I wouldn't, even if I was on daily.

SanctCore [2133367]

If you are composing a team to play game of football, will you pick players who are actively trying to play, pass, score goals, or those who just stand around and prefer a bench?

 

If someone insulted you that you are not active enough, then that person is a dickhead.

 

If someone doesn't want to play with you because you are not active enough, its their freedom of choice.

 

You are 34 days old and you not took a single xanax yet.

 

You sure you played this actually.

Teo [3001282]

Active is being there when it matters, so faction wars and chains etc., and active communication. That and enough general activity daily not to waste e, nerve and cooldowns.

Malgarth [2308239]

Ugh. 

First of all, why do you care? Play the game as you like and make your own definition of “active”.

People simply play when they can and if they want. You make it sound like a chore or something.

 

But generally speaking, when factions recruit people, they have a general expectation for them to be active - ie on average 3 xanaxes a day, have income that would support them in living in a PI and being as active as they can in wars and stuff.

 

There are no rules dude.

BobrKurwa [2841258]

I'm mostly active during wars watching chain etc. war stuff. Otherwise just chatting and grinding. 3 xanax per day don't take long if irl don't mess schedules.

jtower [2287159]

This poll does not make sense. What does activity have to do with money spent?

 

Since there's no valid option, I'll put my answer here: active for me is logging in at least once a day (3 or 4 per day would be normal for this game). And it doesn't matter how much money you spend, it could be 0 or it could be your monthly paycheck

A_random_guy [1857022]

I think OP meant 'competitive', not active, as activity has nothing to do with spending RL money?

 

For me it is login in daily and not wasting cooldowns, and being there for Torn and faction events, so basically what teo said.

Sheikh_Nutti [2892903]

 The eternal "what is active?" debate. It's like asking squirrels which nut is objectively best - pointless, often loud, and everyone's convinced their answer is the only right one.

 

Now, this poll.

 

Honey, no.

 

Tying activity directly to how much real-world cash someone splashes? That's not just missing the forest for the trees; it's missing the entire ecosystem. Activity isn't bought with Donator Packs. That's just... gross.

 

 

As someone who navigates life outside neat little boxes (trans, Muslim, non-binary, proudly green and bushy-tailed, Salam!), these rigid, often classist definitions feel particularly grating. Is "active" really just about popping 3 Xanax like clockwor as you vigin little >3k day old try-hards all of over Torn suggest? Or is it something more... dynamic?

 

For me, being "active" is a multifaceted thing. Yes, it's about managing my cooldowns, maybe contributing to faction stuff when it counts, and generally not letting my energy bar just sit there looking sad.  a huge part of my "active engagement" involves diving headfirst into these forums to... shall we say... vigorously challenge complacency. 😉

 

Honestly, the constant judgment, the "you're not playing right" energy - it's just gatekeeping. It sucks the fun out of a long-haul game where people should be able to play their own way. Someone quietly flying for profit is active. Someone meticulously planning scams is active. Someone like me, crafting the perfect forum post to send someone spiraling? Peak activity, babes.

 

Maybe the real answer is: "active" is defined by your goals and your impact within the game, whatever that looks like. Whether it's building wealth, dominating wars, or just making the forums a more... interesting place. Stop trying to shove everyone into the same narrow definition.

Gonna go start some arguments. Stay nutty!

Hopslam [795412]

Yeah poll options are odd there

 

being active for ‘Torn’ purposes is just logging in at minimum once a day and doing a few minimum things. That counts as being active on Torn. 

but if looking for competitive active, you’re looking at those taking 2-3 Xanax a day, doing point refills, not letting energy and nerve cooldowns sit at max for long or not at all during waking hours (doing gym training at least every 5 hours there), using blood bags, racing or flying, etc etc. 

EdvardEdwardian [3653555]

Trust me, when you've watched your long time favorite game, be it Text-Based or graphic, turn from Play-to-Win to overwhelmingly Pay-to-Win in a matter of days or weeks, you find out that it turns a friendly "competitive" game into an extremely agressivd "casual" game.

 

With an overwhelming amount of financially irresponsible people appearing in less than half a decade, there is no difference between the two; it's become a societal expectation to drop a few hundred dead presidents and sink an overtime rate of 80 straight hours into a game these days. All of the answers are very relevant to all forms of gaming now, sadly.

 

I wouldn't have included it if I didn't feel I needed to use these ridiculous examples to show the sad state of MMOs now. Not all of us have that kind of money, time, nor priority to devote to to these games anymore, especially when you're expected to make around $2.5k just to pay rent alone.

 

What's worse is the people we want nothing more than to write off as dicks, these days that doesn't suffice to describe them. I'm pretty sure a lot of people agree that many of the manchildren we meet on these games just suck the life from what we used to enjoy in these games, my main problem is why everyone has become so apathetic yet competitive and loose with something that can buy you food that they mirror my level of Nihilism and apathy. Never wanted either in the first place anyway, but many times since I'm not as well-known and/or well-liked like someone like George Carlin, who did the same things, I'm the one made out to be a bad person, so I'm typically one of the ones people end up hating because I am brutally honest.

 

And people wonder why I have become surly about our great hobby, yet we've got plenty of reasons why to be angry when its right in front of our faces.

 

 

But bottom line, help me understand why here looks virtually no different from other MMORPGs. Why is the attitude "drop 3 Xan," sure, I may be new to torn, but I am in no way new to the concept of differences in what people expect of activity and power. These days, many games are made out to be the easiest thing to play, yet once one actually get into it, it has an overwhelming sense of "get everything immediately, become overpowered in the blink of an eye."

 

What happened to true casual gaming where two or more people only play because they truly enjoy the sport. The time and effort for a journey that required someone to actually consider what the different things actually mean in the game, but now it honestly feels like there is no casual.

 

To be frank, no I don't care anymore what people expect of me, but sadly in order to "work well with others" I have no choice but to care about expectations. If I wanted to play a single player game about crime, then I'd be playing GTA San Andreas. Plus it does become a chore to deal with people who act like these games truly matter in real life and that virtuality is all there is, it's a major chore to keep up with people who join a game and sink thousands into a game that utilize Pay-to-Win tactics, especially if you've grinded slowly to where you're at and you've been the most active in a group of daily active like minded competitors.

 

And to answer whether I am sure I played this actually: I have already established that I have played Torn-like games for decades, they have, virtually, no difference these days. This is not my first rodeo, it's just annoying to find a game that looks like the people are casual players when really it's primarily a bunch of extra boost flexing. Most other MMORPGs used to prioritize time and effort, now most games are about wasting as much time, money, and energy fighting over who has bragging rights.

 

Once upon a time, people actually enjoyed these games with an air of casual skill, now we all have to either force ourselves to "get gud" overnight or have to sink much of what we earned that we need to actually live IRL with. If you can't eat, sleep, drink, and pay your internet or phone bill, you can't play these games very well without those essential things.

EdvardEdwardian [3653555]

Finally, someone who understands how ridiculous things have gotten and also challenges people to actually think about why they become complacent and why we should adhere to these frankly stupid standards.

 

I can tell you've been at this for a long time like I have been and just want to stay sane, not play with a bunch idiots who love to piss people off by boasting meaningless things, getting smacked, and then wasting frankly bullcrap IRL resources and time just to get back at anyone who best them.

 

All it becomes after everything is said and done when time and effort was wasted subcribing to the bullcrap norms these days is a giant d*ck waving contest, not people having fun. Why can't we just bring back crazy people having fun, roasting each other every now and again, and just having fun? Why so serious?

RNG [2541628]

You don't seem to be trolling so I will give a proper response to your latest lengthy post as someone who has played MOBAs and FPS games semi-competitive in the top ranks, so I know what I am talking about:

To be honest, most games nowadays are not worth sinking time and attention into. . . they are filled with microtransactions and bloatware aka churned out copies of successful game concepts to make the most revenue for shareholders investing in game production organizations.

Players are expected to take 3x Xan daily, be in the game for years, fight in wars/chains and prove that you actually can play the game before you are allowed to have an opinion.

I am a seasoned veteran having experienced both the attacking and defending side in Torn's largest scale territorial warfare, fought my way in Bronze to Diamond tiers in Ranked Wars, saved a 50,000 chain twice during faction's first 50K chain attempt and so on.

If I can survive holding my own in games where players insult each other with derogatory remarks over microphones and compete in the top ranks, Torn doesn't faze me.

Of course, I quitted semi-competitive gaming because at one point I was also participating in shouting matches for my own amusement at 3am in my time zone during weekends realizing how much of a time-sink it is becoming no matter how mechanically skilled I am.

Some people thought I would be bad at ranked wars or chains because I didn't do them previously when in my training phase.

In my opinion, you are better off treating torn as a game where you log in intermittently to train at the gym and do crimes mostly save for Ranked Warring which are mostly termed. 


I am not kidding, that's what I do. Oh, and recently I have found the forums amusing to partake in . . . even making my own thread about whether players prefer a 'Hardcore" or "Casual" Torn in 2025 


Feel free to check out that thread if you want and offer your viewpoints if you like, I have a feeling it might appeal to someone like you

You may want to play older handheld console games instead which will reward you for your effort and time spent, the only downside is that most games of them don't really have multiplayer features apart from Online Battles in certain games

JRPGs are an awesome worthwhile time-sink, I am currently in the midst of playing one at the moment whenever I have time from work.