Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Did You Know

Started by JustJanet [911066] on in General Discussion.

24 replies · 616 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 25 / 25 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
25
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

JustJanet [911066]

…that if you are using crimes 2.0 that your faction perk for crime experience is capped at 10%?

I was fiddling around with faction upgrades today and sent out a newsletter alerting people so they wouldn’t think their nerve bar had increased because of reaching a crime experience threshold. I usually just copy/paste my faction perks from my personal perks list on my home page to make it easy.  I’d just upgraded the faction to 22% so when I saw it at 10% in my personal perks I thought I’d found a bug.  Bogie told me there’s a cap if you are using crimes 2.0.  So for the three people in my faction still using crime 1.0 they get a perk that the rest of us can’t use.  I have to wait for the cool down to pass before redistribution of the respect.  

I’ve asked a few other people and they too didn’t know, so I thought I’d share the knowledge here. 

That made me think of something else I was told and live by even though I don’t know how truthful it really is. It works for me so there’s that. I used to OD all the time!  Like seriously… I ODed on my first and third Xanax and had an OD percentage in the high 4s. Someone, (no idea who it’s been so long ago,) told me that the chance at overdosing increased on minutes that were multiples of 5.  (When the minute hand points directly at one of the hour numbers of the clock) since being told this I try to pay attention and take my drugs in between the clock numbers.  My OD percentage is still high (2.67%.)  but that’s way better than 4.7%! And over the years it’s diminished. Is this a true thing or just BS that I bought into?   Is it a placebo type thing? Did all my worst RNG happen early? I don’t know. It works for me though. I still OD but at a way less frequent rate so I keep doing it and pass it on to others who complain about ODing a lot. 

So, there are two “Did you know” type things I know.  Or at least think I know. Share your own please. 

Mara [177232]

Not sure the OD increase is a thing. My last 5 ODs.

 

10:23:31 - 30/07/25 You overdosed on some Xanax

 

11:20:23 - 11/07/25 You overdosed on some Xanax

 

09:27:41 - 15/02/25 You overdosed on some Xanax

 

06:53:50 - 21/01/25 You overdosed on some Xanax

 

06:21:20 - 24/12/24 You overdosed on some Xanax

 

As you can see only 1 of them was on the 5 minute mark.

Eileen_McKinsey [2460491]

Does this mean that if you’re trying to get the Spaced Out honor bar, you should wait until the clock hits the fives to take the cannabis? (Like 4:20?)

Grafiti [1557036]

I think they should remove the higher crime xp perks to nudge players to move to Crimes 2.0.

 

It makes no sense to have an upgrade tree which most (if not all) members of the faction can use fully.

JustJanet [911066]

Well f**king hell!!!  After reading your post I thought, “just get over your superstition, Janet!” 

  • You pop a few Xanax pills into your mouth and down a glass of water. After some time you feel no pleasure, but a huge headache. The headache is followed by nausea and vomiting. You must have overdosed.

    Close

     

     

     

     

16:10:43 - 05/08/25 You overdosed on some Xanax going to the hospital for 83h 20m and losing 150 energy, 68 nerve and 4,500 happiness

coincidence or not… I have a strong suspicion I’m going to stick to my no drugs on minutes that are multiples of five!  

 

merkitroid [2647506]

I had no idea! We have been wasting a lot of respect in that case. Overdoses? Doubtful but doesn't hurt to skip the 5 min mark

 

Asemov [2270413]

17:19:08 - 05/08/25 You used some Xanax gaining 250 energy and 75 happiness
09:38:57 - 05/08/25 You used some Xanax gaining 250 energy and 75 happiness

03:23:51 - 05/08/25 You used some Xanax gaining 250 energy and 75 happiness
18:06:54 - 04/08/25 You used some Xanax gaining 250 energy and 75 happiness

Not to brag, but I never take Xanax at intrevals of 5's and I haven't OD'd in a short while.

08:19:26 - 13/07/25 You overdosed on some Xanax going to the hospital for 83h 20m and losing 60 energy, 12 nerve and 4,610 happiness

But if you take the 6 seconds, and add them to the 9 minutes, you have 08:25:20.

JustJanet [911066]

 The Gambler’s Fallacy is that one can determine future outcomes based on past results.  Example: 12 heads in a coin toss means tails are due. However, even odds works on the premise that all things start out equal, every chance has the same chance of outcomes and chance doesn’t have a memory of past outcomes.  The next coin toss keeps the same even odds. 

 

However, if that were the case in how things work in Torn, then time would out the evenness of completely random things being “either it happens or it doesn’t” Like overdoses.  There are only two out comes. You either overdose or you don’t.  I realize that there must be a set likelihood of overdose.  I’m pulling out a random number as an example. Each time a player takes a Xanax the RNG gives 99.5 successes to each 1 fail.  


I have heard that there are teeny fractions of differences in individual RNGs for players that are randomly assigned at the creation of their account. I don’t know if it’s accurate.  However, it seems to me that if it worked like the flip of a coin then ultimately, with enough times the outcomes for various individuals should converge ever closer to the set odds. With enough time and data we could guesstimate what the odds are. We would not guess when an outcome will happen, however the actual results plotted on a graph would show evidence of an equal likelihood of outcomes. 

 

Yes a flip of a coin can result in heads 25 times in a row, but if it’s flipped 175 more times. The likelihood that the end result converges closer to the actual 50/50 should ultimately be revealed. When there are only two choices and the odds between those two choices are almost exactly the same, then we know the likelihood must be a near  a 50/50 split. If that logic is sound, even if individual instances can’t be determined by the past, shouldn’t we see a pattern that follows the given odds? 

 


However, with ODs that doesn’t seem to pan out.  I went looking for a post I recall reading about RNG once. The post where I got the notion about the differences in RNG.  I didn’t find it but I found a thread about the randomness of ODs and a few people posted their OD percent.  Some were higher than my number now 3.2%) and others were in the 1.5-1.6 range. I read a post by Hemidigious where they posted an image of their OD percent.  Five years ago it was 1.58% and they had taken a little over 1k Xanax.  I looked today thinking that the OD % should be significantly closer to mine.  It is not.  It’s 1.68% They’ve taken close to 5k Xanax and have ODed less than 100 times.  I’ve taken around 3.2k and ODed 101 times.  Keep in mind these numbers are over more than 5 years recording time.  

I realize there must be other factors… maybe taking more Xanax gives more opportunities to not OD since the chance of ODing are slim, but if all things are truly equal, in the realm of RNG, shouldn’t years of play show the convergence? I realize this train of thought isnt really in support of the multiples of 5 idea.  It’s really about the idea that things aren’t entirely even in the RNG.  Which means the gambler’s fallacy doesn’t really work in this case. 

Mentions: Bad Luck RNG (Seed) assigned to player ID?

CharmRiver [2334174] Reporter

No thats not right, gamblers fallacy is actually believing that a serie of events should determine a certain outcome, the exact opposite of what you just wrote. 

JustJanet [911066]

Reread.  Sorry I hit send when I meant to just set my phone down. To avoid you missing the actual comment  I’m starting over. 

I’d urge you to reread because I agree with your definition of the gambler’s fallacy.  The fallacy is thinking that past outcomes affect future outcomes in a truly random system. 

 

But I’m not claiming that I n forecast future ODs. I certainly wouldn’t have taken the Xanax if I thought I would OD.

 

I’m actually questioning whether the RNG in Torn is truly uniform or if there are hidden variables affecting outcomes. As I already stated; perhaps there are possible variations between accounts that impact RNG in extremely minor ways. That’s different from assuming randomness will self-correct. I know my assertion that in time odds will start to converge with outcomes, might seem like it aligns with the fallacy, but that's just pure math. We can’t predict individual outcomes. We can predict patterns over time. However, in the case of certain aspects of Torn, such as overdoses,  I’m skeptical that the outcomes are truly random in the exact same way for every account. 

 

I also acknowledged that my multiples of 5 minutes quite likely could be a placebo effect or pattern bias, and I’m open to that as the explanation of my experiences. I’m just sharing what’s worked for me and why I still usually do it out of habit. 

 

And… ironically, when attempting to accept its pattern bias on my part, and purposely taking a Xanax on a minute that was a multiple of five, it resulted in an OD. I fully understand that this is still random. It’s ironic too. I have challenged the idea a couple of times in the last few months. I’ll send you the events if I can. Since I can’t edit sent events.  

Here are my last two. ODs :

 

  • You took some Xanax and downed a glass of water. A headache was followed by nausea and vomiting. You overdosed.

    16:10:43
    05/08/25

     

    You took some Xanax and downed a glass of water. A headache was followed by nausea and vomiting. You overdosed.

    07:30:52
    28/05/25

     

    I understand this is just pattern bias but it also supports the advice I was given.  

 

CockyNudist [2209950]

Isn't the crimes 1.0 calculation different though? I'm pretty sure it was % bonus to CE when calculating success rate on your crimes (which is completely and utterly useless).