Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn pseudonym stories

Started by Daws [3649436] on in General Discussion.

55 replies · 561 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 56 / 56 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
56
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Googleplay [2200225] ×1 Erilaz [3616238] ×1

Daws [3649436]

I’ve always loved a good online pseudonym story. There’s something wholesome about finding out the back story for names people choose to represent themselves in a place like Torn. All are unique, but mostly mean something to us as individuals. 

 

So tell me, where did your Torn name come from? Was it something meaningful, a character you’ve carried through every game you’ve played, or did your parents really bless you with BigusDickus69 at birth? Maybe 15 year old you logged into Xbox live for the first time and came up with hot garbage, thinking you’d change it later and now it’s followed you across every corner of the internet.

 

Either way, I want to know the story behind it. Every name in Torn has a past. Whether it’s simple, ridiculous, or completely accidental. What’s yours?

Zole [3163634]

Nearly 25 years ago, on some probably now defunct online chat room, 11 year old me thought he was being real edgey calling himself Xile. As I moved through the years it changed depending on availability, but soon after just settled on Zole. Which is what I've managed to get on most platforms. Sometimes letters are added if it's unavailable. 

Shaitan [2802630]

Mine is from a series of books I devoured as they came out years ago (as well as the obvious reference which frankly pisses off the right sort of people)

 

My normal nom-de-plume everyone calls me irl and is taken by an active player so I’m SOL on that one. 

Daws [3649436]

Mines an old nickname, as I’m sure it is for many people! In other games I’ve gone as Kharyl, which is a play on one of the barrows brothers from RuneScape.

 

love that most people hold onto these names for a long time.

Makkhoi [3652991]

Mine is relatively new and I'm not 100% sure I'll stick to it.

When I was young and started playing my first MMO, EverQuest, I had the nickname Piqard (Picard was taken). It got annoying because all the French people called me Pigard.

 

Later on I started reading the fantasy books by R.A. Salvatore about the dark elf Drizzt and his friends, so I chose the name Wulfgar for my next MMO, which was Wurm Online. Later on I sold that account and made an alt with the name ThibbledorfPwent (another character from the books), which I also used while playing World of Tanks.

 

At some point few years ago I chose the name Anfieldminion, because I have been a fan of Liverpool FC my whole life, and because I love minions from the Despicable Me franchise more than anything else that has ever been animated.

 

Don't be surprised though if I at some point change my name here to Thibbledorf_Pwent. He is a grumpy old dwarf and I am a grumpy old man, so it would fit.

Beerstein [1322136]

Chose mine way back in the day in Wolfenstein. I like Beer Steins, was playing Wolfenstein and just...yep

 

Got a lot of others I like just as much though, I'm pretty creative with names without doing numbers and xXx and shit.

dunmugmeh [538353]

I remember in the olden days things where very different in this game. There have been LOTS of changes and refinements over the years.

 

In the distant past you used to gain stats by busting yourself out of jail. Yes that is what it sounds like, players did use to purposefully get themselves jailed so they could bust themselves out with a big chunk of nerve and gain more stats, i think it was dexterity they gained? i cant remember it was a long time ago.

 

Many players changed their player name to dunbustmeh, dontbust, nobust etc etc etc. 

 

That was a red flag to a bull/rabid field mice. There was a motley 'crew' of players me included who actively busted the dontbustmes out of jail LOL. It wasnt a actively organised coordinated crew its just something we liked to do for fun LOL

 

There was accompanying whining mails (no chats in those olden days) when you busted them and sometimes bounties.

 

If they politely mailed me asking me to stop busting them i would stop busting them. Those sending hysterical apocalyptic whining/threatening mails and bounties i would bust them even more just for fun LOL. Its the little things in life which are enjoyable :P

 

Anyways i have been waffling a bit. Onto my name dunmugmeh its my homage to the whining nerds. Of course nobody likes being mugged, i have never whined about it i just want my stuff to sell. I NEVER close my bazaar.

 

Buffoonery is afoot with mugging, there are tools/scripts watching for when stuff sells on bazaars/item market. It isnt good being mugged because of a bot LOL but whining about it isnt going to get me anywhere.

 

If you want my stuff and a 'discount' mug me when im in bed or at work i never close my bazaar and i wont whine if you buy mug me. I want to sell ALL my stuff right now.

 

DUNMUGMEH!!!!

 

 

 

 

Bumbi [3177056]

I was paid to change my name, a friend used to call me this as a joke but then I decided to change it to this and got him to pay for it. Originally it was meant to be a joke for 90 days but the name kinda grew on me and ended up sticking with it. Thanks for coming to my TED talk. 

AgntOrngRuffy [3268335]

I sold fresh seafood in my early 20s. Of all the fish/war related gamertags I came up with, AgntOrngRuffy was the best. 

 

20 years later...

Secludedcommie [3713977]

I am doing a self imposed challenge where I can't buy, sell or trade with other players.

Hence the name secluded (Doesn't interact with others) commie (anti-capitalist)

Lyttle [2619782]

Going back in time, I had a EverQuest account and  I played a Gnome Necromaster called LittleMorte. Since those days of yore all my toons have been a derivative of that in some way. 

     Here in Torn wanting to grow under the radar I am Lyttle and this is probably the last character I am going to have , I do have a shout out to FidelCashFlow for absolutely having that name, makes me laugh with great regularity..

Weav3r [1853324] Helper

I used to be a pretty heavy text-based roleplayer in forums with others. In my stories I played the patriarch of the "Weaver" family. This was consistent for over ten years.

 

Out of character people would just refer to me as Weaver, regardless of my actual username. So I just adopted that as my username since it was what everyone called me anyway. 

 

I don't roleplay anymore, but I've kept the name. The 3 is just because Weaver is taken most everywhere.

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

All3x hospital camp buy mugged me and I finally made up my mind of what xxxxx_Grim variant to choose. I had been mulling it over for 2.5 months since I got vault access.

 

01:07:00 - 28/07/24 You deposited $1,248,843 into your spouse's Private Island's vault increasing the balance to $302,046,881

 

Did I want to be Dexterously_Grim as a play on being the yin to Sinister_Grim's yang & being a dex whore (at the time)?

 

14:38:39 - 15/10/24 You used a Small First Aid Kit recovering 99 life and reducing hospital time by 0h 05m

 

14:38:43 - 15/10/24 You sold 15x Feathery Hotel Coupon on your bazaar to All3x at $12,900,000 each for a total of $193,500,000

 

14:38:46 - 15/10/24 Someone anonymously mugged you for $18,479,250 sending you to the hospital for 0h 38m [view]

 

14:39:34 - 15/10/24 You added All3x to your enemies list

 

15:02:15 - 15/10/24 You changed your name from AutumnKome to Viciously_Grim for 100 points

 

No, I wanted to be Vicious. And now I am.