Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Windows V Linux gaming

Started by ElHeffe [2564022] on in Technology.

26 replies · 88 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 27 / 27 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
27
Discussion span
→
Authority score
10 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

ElHeffe [2564022]

Has anyone decided to make the jump from Windows and its increasing parade of bloatware, spyware and ballsed updates?

I see that Linux is reportedly getting much better at running games with a minimum of tweaking. I'm really only still using Microslop for games - everything else is web based now.

 

Is it work taking the jump and if so, is there a particular distro you are using that you've found supports gaming better than others?

Jaxtra [2658631]

I think you need to be more specific for which games you want to run. There are plenty of games that work fine for linux, like torn or factorio.
I've been gaming on linux for 30+ years, haven't gamed on windows for 20+ years.

JasonYeom [4045988]

I'll tell you a really good trick  so if you go to https://www.protondb.com/ and search up your game, you can see if it runs good on linux via others reviews.

 

I never played game called Hitman, but all of them are gold or platinum rank on https://www.protondb.com/. 

Bladur's gate is also platinum and gold.

Civ 6 is also gold.

well, good for you

 

p.s. Unrelated question, what distro are you planning to use?

Patched_Rico [4213998]

Been few days now , but I began to install Cachy-os on old computer (like 4gb of ddr3 and integrated GPU) and honestly it's a blast , i rediscover my old crap.

I will wait a few more before jumping on LInux on my main computer , but it's definitely something i begin to think about.

GNJMSTR [4394049]

Dual boot Windows and Linux till you realize you dont need Windows anymore.
Steam has built the Steam Deck on Linux, so consider that when looking into playing any Steam game. (they will most likely all work)

Isn't there that Wine program that will run windows .exes for Linux?

ElHeffe [2564022]

I've decided to run Bazzite for a week on a spare SSD I have. So fair easy enough to install and I'm playing Hitman with no problems.

T0rnuser6837 [4086144]

you can use proton for games and wine for other files. i have a thinkpad with debian and also use wsl on windows but ill probably switch on day....

ElHeffe [2564022]

Well I've been using Bazzite for a few days and it's handled Dyson Sphere Program (800+ game hours played) like a champ.

T0rnuser6837 [4086144]

oh nice personally i just use proton beacuase of its intergration with steam. honestly i hop that one day people start making good games on linux so we dont have to use emulators

thisisharrison [3879925]

I switched to CachyOS earlier this year after being on Windows 11 for the better part of 3.5 years with my current install.

 

I have Limine as my boot loader, and it does the job well; I can boot into CachyOS or Windows when my computer turns on, albeit with some cosmetic quirks on Windows, such as the date/time being incorrect, but nothing that would cause any disruptions in practice.

 

I dual-boot Windows only to play titles that straight up do not work on Linux (Escape From Tarkov, Fortnite, GTA Online), but CachyOS does everything else I need it to do, including productivity and gaming.

 

I haven't tried Bazzite, but it seems like a great alternative for a gaming-focused rig. How are you finding it?

 

 

ElHeffe [2564022]

It's going quite well. I'm not a benchmarking kind of person but I've found it pleasantly bloat free.

 

I've only had some problems with managing some files. Like getting my CV from Word on-line to download so I can upload to a website. But I am blaming that one on Microsoft.

I'll keep Windows on a laptop in case there's a reason, but I think I will stick with Bazzite. If for no other reason that I cannot trust Microsoft.

JediJunkie [4205111]

I use a dual boot Mint and windows 10 for my daily use. I have a little ventoy stick with popos, zorin, Ubuntu, a few others for testing/debugging purposes.

I didn't really mess with it much but Zorin OS is supposedly ready to go windows-wise with all the dependencies and "emulators".

Throughout the past few years, I've gotten acquaintanted with Linux so much that I usually have an easier time getting what I need done in a Linux environment, even though you'd think the opposite.

My old infrastructure was blocking EasyAntiCheat on it's windows partition, yet I was able to install legendary launcher and get Chivalry 2 running on my Mint half first.

It just depends on what you're trying to install. In my opinion, if there's a will, there's a way, with Linux. 

#FossForLife

Yoink [3418277]

You can easily play single player offline games through wine. GTA, assasins creed, red dead, Minecraft, souls like, they all work fine..But if you're thinking to play online competitive games like valorant, CSGO, Apex or rocket league, they won't work because of anti cheat. (Not supported on Linux)

DudeistPriest [863676]

As a full time Linux user for like a decade now, I can say it was decent back then and fucking incredible now. But I have a different mindset than most gamers: "No Tux, no bucks!" Thankfully Valve has heard the likes of me. I love my steam deck to pieces. Replicating that environment is not hard anymore.

Neopolitan [276835]

Baldurs Gate should work fine by default. You'll need to specifically opt in to use Proton for Civilization 6, because the version numbers between Windows and Linux aren't equal and some of the DLC content isn't available on Linux, despite the Linux port otherwise working fine.

 

Bazzite is fine so long as you only use that machine for gaming, but you'll quickly find it stifling should you try to use it like you'd use any other general purpose Linux desktop.