41 replies · 1.45k views · thread synced · 7 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:42 / 42 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
42
Discussion span
→
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
47 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
74 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
MrVillain[618400]
· 17 likes · Honestly, I most prefer option C (which Ched brought up). You get four choices and a random button. You can join any of the four teams like regular or (if you don't like your options or they're all full) you …
So it's been suggested I create an un-biased poll on this issue to gauge majority feeling on this issue..
Before I start - I'm aware that it's not a huge issue, and I'm aware that most of you won't have had to deal with it and perhaps therefore won't care. Please try and consider the entire Torn population when voting.
Currently 12 teams are pre-selected for Elimination. Four of these are assigned to every player, with a capacity of 1,000. You get a choice in which of these four teams you're given. Once all four teams are full, you may not enter the competition if you have not selected one of these teams, even if other teams are not yet full. In the past this has lead to unbalanced rosters (e.g. Knitting Circle in '16 who had ~750 members sign up).
It alsomeans that the first-come-first-serve policy becomes slightly broken - if you're not able to log in for any reason before your choices get filled, you cannot participate even if you're free for the rest of the month. Someone who has not been able to log in for the same duration, and then logs in after you to try and join could end up being able to participate. I.e. Player 10,000 can not join a team, but Player 10,050 can. I don't personally think this is fair, which is why I suggested the following..
At the beginning of the sign up period, there is simply a 'join' button. You are randomised into a team. This could happen at the end of the sign up period, or once each team is full (12,000 people sign up), but actually it would be nicer to have it immediately as the initial 5 days are a fun time for socialising with team mates, which is the entire point of the competition imo.
The facts:
- You would not get any choice in the Team, which means you cannot choose which friends you get to play with
- You would still have an incredibly high chance of being in a team with some of your friends unless you live in an extremely closed circle. Again, imo the best part of this competition is meeting people who you wouldn't otherwise.
- All teams would have the same number of bodies (maximum difference of 1)
- Full randomisation like this is objectively more fair, there are no two ways about it.
Full randomisation just seems to make the most sense. Absolutely no way of manipulating the competition and getting organised groups into the same team on purpose, which is what people seem to want to avoid.
The argument for team choice about being in a team theme that you like or suits you doesn't really hold up when you're limited to a random four. For example see here
What happens if you're favourite team isn't in your random 4? You're screwed anyway.
Only other thing I can think of is maybe get to see the list of team names and select a preferred amount (6?) and then you get randomly placed in one of your preferred.
I'd love random thing. Picking in four may be random but it can be coordinated. Total randomness is a fair point here, I assume. I'd read the bug & issues post and still thinking that you made the point. Just my opinion, cheers!
I don't see why it isn't full randomization, wouldn't that make the most sense? If this is supposed to be a social competition, wouldn't you want to meet new people rather than all trying to get into the same team?
I would say I would play in the competition either way, so either way would not be bad in my opinion. However, if I had to pick between the 2, I would choose having the player pick the team. I personally like having the ownership of picking the team, so the 4 options and choosing the 1 of those 4 works for me. However, if there really is no other decent way to get fair team balance and the ability to allow all that want to play to play, then the randomization seems the way to go. With the random team placing, a portion of the players that like the way it is now will just complain about the team they get put on if it turns out unfavorable, especially since they didn't have a choice in the team. If the player has the control of team choice, then they cannot really complain about that part.
Either way.... there will be complaints from some. And either way... it'll be fun for those that just enjoy the competition and the change of normal game play.
Honestly, I most prefer option C (which Ched brought up).
You get four choices and a random button. You can join any of the four teams like regular or (if you don't like your options or they're all full) you can press the random button to be placed in any of the 12 teams ignoring the player cap.
Personally being able to play this competition with my close friends is the only thing that makes it enjoyable for me. I probably wouldn't have bothered signing up this year unless I knew I was going to be on a team with them, especially since I've already got the merits.
This thread isnt about team names. There are currently like 30 something team names, and all the teams this year have never been used. The whole point of this thread is to determine if having people placed on a team as they opt-in to the competition or not.
I personally like having a choice. I think choosing the team that speaks to you (for whatever reason) helps to get invested in the competition. Plus a little bit of TORN drama keeps things interesting, so if things are imbalanced that's okay by me (although all the teams are full this year).
I just stated facts. I did have to explain problems with the current system as explanation for my suggestion in the first place - that doesn't make the poll biased I don't think.
(and not everything I said was praise - you can't choose to be with your friends with full randomisation)
Yeah, I do get that if you have the merits. I do understand about people wanting to play with their friends, it just happens to be the opposite that I prefer.