Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

New player advice

Started by Silvian [1933762] on in General Discussion.

54 replies · 618 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 55 / 55 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Mat-Senpai [952164]

noob: hello
me: hi
noob: can you help me?
me: maybe, depends on what's up
noob: can i have money?

this is when i block them, this has happened a lot more than i'd like it to happen.
Cable [507439]

Usually more advice than practical things; but if they sound like they'll be good players might help them out financially as well.
Jason187 [1808995]

I usually advise them to stop begging me for money. I rarely get asked for any advice, but if I did, I would direct them to the guides and tutorial sections of the forums.
Silvian [1933762]

Holy shit. I didn't realize begging was so common. I cant imagine begging.

I'm not new to the genre. Just new to torn. torn always seemed overwhelming so I never bothered till now.

Ive read all tutorials I felt were relevant. including all hanks guides.

I still find the game slightly overwhelming with the features and population. but thanks people.
Cable [507439]

Just take things easy; theres a lot to do, but thanks to level restrictions, you should know your way round by level 15.
Beesus2 [1926586]

Always come across different players in NPC. Being a restart I give the best advice I can, such as Getting into a high happy house and avoid slutting. If they don't beg, I usually give money to help with renting and sending a Macana.

Also if theyre super awesome and dedicated to the game (I check personal stats etc.) Then I give a DP and some money. I've only done this to 2 people though, and they're currently doing great! ^.^
Thrail_Foston [1881665]

I give them 2 mil and tell them to have fun lol. Too busy doing other stuff to really pay attention to them. The next day they always come back and say "I don't have money". I'm like: "HOW DA HELL DID YOU LOSE THAT MONEY SO FAST!"
Silvian [1933762]

I feel their pain. My first day. I slutted. Making approximately 10m, I spent about 3m on weapons and armor. The rest was lost in the casino (p.s. screw the casino. I won't touch it any more)
eddieg501 [1928057]

I don't see any fun in begging, I to have read some guides and read the forums. Someone mentioned do not slut, but I found it a quick way to make 10 mil. Why would you not want to slut as a noob?
Noc [1662321]

I slut for colddeadfingers he should rename himself sausage fingers but i appreciate the beers after xxx
WIT_KAT [1641178]

I like your honesty...

OP: I tell them advice where I feel I might can help... Such as with getting and running a bazaar... Leveling to 15 for travel then slowing down and as others have said train train train... Tutorials are a definite plus... I personally like Hanks training guide and Mat- Sempi's Stocks guide... and I agree 100% about marriage... Tons of merits to be made... Don't troll or beg unless you want to become someones bounty target...

KAT

There is also an excellent guide to crimes but I am embarrassed to say the author has slipped my mind... It is mostly for players a bit older than noobs but worth a read for when they are ready for building crime experience with those tougher crimes a noob isn't ready for... (Sorry if I misspelled names...)
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

It's ok to do some slutting in the beginning, just don't make it into a lifestyle. It's easy money, but you have to figure out other ways to make money soon enough so you can use your energy in the gym instead.
Beesus2 [1926586]

I'd prefer to use my Energy + refills for training.. + Having all those losses on your personal stats.. Doesn't look so good :/ Esp when trying to get into a good faction.

I hope you put that well earned 10 Mill to good use though!
eddieg501 [1928057]

I think I put the 10 mil to good use? I like racing so I bought a nice car, I rented a penthouse with some good upgrades, bought a few Xanax, LSD and some good gear, threw most of the rest into the bank
Passie [936578]

One more bit of advice ...

If someone asks you to change the email adress linked to your account, don't. EVER.
Staff doesn't ask you to change your email, I could do it myself if I wanted to >.>.
Anyone in chat / mail / IRC asking you to change your email because their name is similar to your factionleader or they say they speak for your fellow factionmember / friend whatever ... all lies!


By changing your email adress to an email YOU don't control, you turn over control of your account.
All it takes for them is to have the password reset (it only takes an email adress, no username!!!)
Turning over control of your account means you will lose access to it and most likely anything you ever had on it.