2 Years after this post update:
Basically the people in this thread convinced me not to give *everything* away and keep some for in case I wanted to return. I blindly followed their advice and after selling almost all stocks and non-liquid assets I kinda wanted to get a passive income again from scratch so I basically "started over" with 2B. It was fun again working towards getting all the useful stock benefits, helping new players, helping a new faction with some donations (and making new friends in the process) as well as supporting the company I work for. I felt less pressure and more fun and thus I never disappeared and am still here, casual as always.
Original post begins here:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you ragequit, this is not a bitching post.
I just received the "live 10 years in torn" merit. I have experienced all I want to in Torn, and have decided that it is now taking up more time than I am willing to give every day. (Please stop asking me the reason I'm leaving, this is my reason. There are no personal problems or change of lifestyle, I merely wish to spend time and focus on other things)
Therefore, I am looking for ideas of how to spend the few billion I have acquired in my time. Some ideas I like is giving it away to newbies, but I'm afraid they will lose interest in the game if they receive too big a sudden influx of cash. Is the dollar sale still running? Then I can donate there. Or maybe there is a douche I am not aware of that needs some bountying? Any thoughts welcome. My leave will be made final in two month's time.
Cool ideas so far:
Donate to Collette for the Dollar Sale
Have a Lottery/Raffle
Have a competition
Buy lots of cool stuff and bazaar it off
Package lots of cool stuff and dollar auction it off
Bounty someone out of the game/for days
Less Cool Ideas;
Donate to all the beggars I'm receiving messages from right now on a individual basis
Plomp it all down on one random newbie.
Keep that bling in the Caymans
Give it all to Duke[4], we all know he needs it.
Response updates, so you don't have to read every page of the thread:
----------------------------------
I'm not looking to return. I now have two months to make my final decision to quit or not. If I don;t decide to stay after then, I won't be back.
Torn truly is the worlds best text based online RPG-like game. Back when it came into being, there were dozens if not hundreds and I tried many. The thing that stood out each time is the amount of time it takes to be somewhat decent at any of them. You needed referrals and ranking-site clicks just to earn enough to make a day worth it (or a handy credit card which I didn't have those days).
Maybe, someday, I will remember the 10 years I gave to Torn and make a new account to come check out the changes, or quickly log in with my old one. Maybe not. Right now, I feel spreading the little bit of wealth I acquired will assist others more than it will stagnating in the Cayman Isles. Maybe a grand lottery with one winner receiving over 5 billion, maybe having it spread out over the top 10 contestants. In the past, I have gone and check which accounts are brand new, 1 day old, and just send those guys 1m to hopefully make their day. Half the time they were smurfs and it meant little to them.
Just to make it clear, I'm not giving anything away right now, I'm merely looking for ideas as to what to do with my wealth when the time comes, in about 60 days.
----------------------------------
So many people advising me to stay! I didn't expect that much feedback and a lot more beggars. You surprise me, Torn community.
Thanks to all the guys taking the time to wish me good luck in RL and not looking for anything back. You are awesome.
Update with answers from my side
UPDATE:
Many great suggestions, thanks guys! Biggest suggestions so far as follow;
Donate to giveaways
Many of these I don't know about and am unsure if it is legit. I would rather not go this route.
Stay or to invest in stocks/cayman for when I come back
I invested a lot in cayman, I'm in a 10 star oilrig, I had all the stocks I wanted. All educations done and all major milestones I was interested in was reached. My shares are now up for sale on the stockmarket so I may get the cash for this thing. Like I said, I'm not coming back. (Not sure of half the "dont go" sugguestions are from staff spooks or what but there are many!) If I do come back (and I'ms ure I will, just to check the place out), you get to give me a big "i told you so!" to the poorest old guy in torn ;) I won't ask for anything back from anyone, ever.
Donate to Church
I am tempted to do this. At the very least I have a certain amount I am going to donate to see the outcome, and will share my results :) (it will be over 2B)
UPDATE:
[image: profileimages.torn.com]
Gold AK
Money sink I'm not interested in. The old "unique" weapons and properties that were up for auction each week was a pretty sweet feature, but it takes way too much staff resources so its understandable it had to go.
Send stuff to friends
Also tempted to do this. Most my faction and company mates are casuals like myself, but we had great fun.
Donate Parcels with DPs and SE
Also a nice idea.
Donating to small and medium factions
I'm not a big fan of factions. It is the main system that drives the game, yet it feels forced. If you don't belong to a faction, you miss out on a great list of potential bonuses. If you do belong to a faction, a lot of resources will be going towards sustaining your battle stats and health, and if you are new, get ready for the white screen each time you log in. Not as much fun as it sounds for the little guys!
What if I miss Torn?
I will miss Torn. But, almost like a lost loved one, each day I will miss it a little less until one day, only sweet memories remain.
----------------------------------
Hi again.
I have in the meantime made some minor donations here and there. Please note that I am not giving away Private Islands. I feel that buying your own PI is one of the biggest milestones in the game, and you should earn it so you may feel that pride in what you achieved.
No duals on the market I could see right now, but I don;t think I would be able to afford many anyway. Awesome Idea though.
Right now I feel that I should do all of the below:
A few lucky draws for cash/rpizes
Blow a random newbies brain with a random 1B drop.
Donate a certain amount to the church to see the effects.
Parcel up some sweet and nasty surprises and raffle them off.
Big no-nos:
I won't be gifting PIs or castles at all.
I won't be donating to any faction, except leaving some morphs for my current casual faction to show some love.
I wont be keeping more than 1B in caymans for when I return and want to check out some added features.
Finally, I will be posting my battle stats on my profile when I leave so everyone who wants to test stuff may do so against me. I still need to decide what weapons or armor to equip before I leave.
Any other suggestions regarding some Torn tests that require $, please let me know. For science.
----------------------------------
Finally, Update for 16 May. I have decided I will pawn off some of my good items in parcels. The catch is, there will be cheap stuff for exuberant prices in there, so you will stand a chance of busting. But there will also be expensive stuff for cheap. I'm still deciding on the ratio of win/loss but I'm aiming toward 30% loss total, so some rich guy don't buy everything up for a profit.
Basically the people in this thread convinced me not to give *everything* away and keep some for in case I wanted to return. I blindly followed their advice and after selling almost all stocks and non-liquid assets I kinda wanted to get a passive income again from scratch so I basically "started over" with 2B. It was fun again working towards getting all the useful stock benefits, helping new players, helping a new faction with some donations (and making new friends in the process) as well as supporting the company I work for. I felt less pressure and more fun and thus I never disappeared and am still here, casual as always.
Original post begins here:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you ragequit, this is not a bitching post.
I just received the "live 10 years in torn" merit. I have experienced all I want to in Torn, and have decided that it is now taking up more time than I am willing to give every day. (Please stop asking me the reason I'm leaving, this is my reason. There are no personal problems or change of lifestyle, I merely wish to spend time and focus on other things)
Therefore, I am looking for ideas of how to spend the few billion I have acquired in my time. Some ideas I like is giving it away to newbies, but I'm afraid they will lose interest in the game if they receive too big a sudden influx of cash. Is the dollar sale still running? Then I can donate there. Or maybe there is a douche I am not aware of that needs some bountying? Any thoughts welcome. My leave will be made final in two month's time.
Cool ideas so far:
Donate to Collette for the Dollar Sale
Have a Lottery/Raffle
Have a competition
Buy lots of cool stuff and bazaar it off
Package lots of cool stuff and dollar auction it off
Bounty someone out of the game/for days
Less Cool Ideas;
Donate to all the beggars I'm receiving messages from right now on a individual basis
Plomp it all down on one random newbie.
Keep that bling in the Caymans
Give it all to Duke[4], we all know he needs it.
Response updates, so you don't have to read every page of the thread:
----------------------------------
I'm not looking to return. I now have two months to make my final decision to quit or not. If I don;t decide to stay after then, I won't be back.
Torn truly is the worlds best text based online RPG-like game. Back when it came into being, there were dozens if not hundreds and I tried many. The thing that stood out each time is the amount of time it takes to be somewhat decent at any of them. You needed referrals and ranking-site clicks just to earn enough to make a day worth it (or a handy credit card which I didn't have those days).
Maybe, someday, I will remember the 10 years I gave to Torn and make a new account to come check out the changes, or quickly log in with my old one. Maybe not. Right now, I feel spreading the little bit of wealth I acquired will assist others more than it will stagnating in the Cayman Isles. Maybe a grand lottery with one winner receiving over 5 billion, maybe having it spread out over the top 10 contestants. In the past, I have gone and check which accounts are brand new, 1 day old, and just send those guys 1m to hopefully make their day. Half the time they were smurfs and it meant little to them.
Just to make it clear, I'm not giving anything away right now, I'm merely looking for ideas as to what to do with my wealth when the time comes, in about 60 days.
----------------------------------
So many people advising me to stay! I didn't expect that much feedback and a lot more beggars. You surprise me, Torn community.
Thanks to all the guys taking the time to wish me good luck in RL and not looking for anything back. You are awesome.
Update with answers from my side
UPDATE:
Many great suggestions, thanks guys! Biggest suggestions so far as follow;
Donate to giveaways
Many of these I don't know about and am unsure if it is legit. I would rather not go this route.
Stay or to invest in stocks/cayman for when I come back
I invested a lot in cayman, I'm in a 10 star oilrig, I had all the stocks I wanted. All educations done and all major milestones I was interested in was reached. My shares are now up for sale on the stockmarket so I may get the cash for this thing. Like I said, I'm not coming back. (Not sure of half the "dont go" sugguestions are from staff spooks or what but there are many!) If I do come back (and I'ms ure I will, just to check the place out), you get to give me a big "i told you so!" to the poorest old guy in torn ;) I won't ask for anything back from anyone, ever.
Donate to Church
I am tempted to do this. At the very least I have a certain amount I am going to donate to see the outcome, and will share my results :) (it will be over 2B)
UPDATE:
[image: profileimages.torn.com]
Gold AK
Money sink I'm not interested in. The old "unique" weapons and properties that were up for auction each week was a pretty sweet feature, but it takes way too much staff resources so its understandable it had to go.
Send stuff to friends
Also tempted to do this. Most my faction and company mates are casuals like myself, but we had great fun.
Donate Parcels with DPs and SE
Also a nice idea.
Donating to small and medium factions
I'm not a big fan of factions. It is the main system that drives the game, yet it feels forced. If you don't belong to a faction, you miss out on a great list of potential bonuses. If you do belong to a faction, a lot of resources will be going towards sustaining your battle stats and health, and if you are new, get ready for the white screen each time you log in. Not as much fun as it sounds for the little guys!
What if I miss Torn?
I will miss Torn. But, almost like a lost loved one, each day I will miss it a little less until one day, only sweet memories remain.
----------------------------------
Hi again.
I have in the meantime made some minor donations here and there. Please note that I am not giving away Private Islands. I feel that buying your own PI is one of the biggest milestones in the game, and you should earn it so you may feel that pride in what you achieved.
No duals on the market I could see right now, but I don;t think I would be able to afford many anyway. Awesome Idea though.
Right now I feel that I should do all of the below:
A few lucky draws for cash/rpizes
Blow a random newbies brain with a random 1B drop.
Donate a certain amount to the church to see the effects.
Parcel up some sweet and nasty surprises and raffle them off.
Big no-nos:
I won't be gifting PIs or castles at all.
I won't be donating to any faction, except leaving some morphs for my current casual faction to show some love.
I wont be keeping more than 1B in caymans for when I return and want to check out some added features.
Finally, I will be posting my battle stats on my profile when I leave so everyone who wants to test stuff may do so against me. I still need to decide what weapons or armor to equip before I leave.
Any other suggestions regarding some Torn tests that require $, please let me know. For science.
----------------------------------
Finally, Update for 16 May. I have decided I will pawn off some of my good items in parcels. The catch is, there will be cheap stuff for exuberant prices in there, so you will stand a chance of busting. But there will also be expensive stuff for cheap. I'm still deciding on the ratio of win/loss but I'm aiming toward 30% loss total, so some rich guy don't buy everything up for a profit.
Mentions: Duke [4]