Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Mug protection

Started by Hopslam [795412] on in General Discussion.

109 replies · 1.7k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 110 / 110 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
110
Discussion span
→
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
32 / 100
Story score
65 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Chedburn [1] ×2 Hedas [1880839] ×1

Hopslam [795412]

A recent series of events brought to mind mug protection. I wonder what the Torn community thinks of mug protection in its current form. I imagine there will be two distinct sides, the muggers and the sellers, but I am curious enough to post a poll and seek public opinion on how it's currently viewed. I went to bed Sunday night with peace of mind. I set myself up with nice fat amount of mug protection. I placed some valuables in my bazaar. I went to bed without a mug sweat bead to be had. It all worked out. Someone from my blacklist of prior and potential muggers got their friend to buy from my bazaar and then subsequently mug me. The Boxing Gloves sold, among other items, and there were no mug losses on my end.

[image: i.gyazo.com]

Peace of mind at its finest. As one that still sells high value and high volume items at times, I would say I have to value this mug protection and blacklist protection in a positive manner from the business side of things. Alternatively from a seller perspective, I can argue that this mug protection, blacklist protection, and peace of mind removes a piece of emotional element from the game, and that emotional elements (both the positive and the negative emotions) are important to one's longevity and ongoing playing of the game. Remove enough emotional elements from one's game play, and the care and mind to continue play is more likely to diminish. To answer the poll below, I think you have to ask yourself, do you want more peace of mind, or do you want more cut throat game play. To me personally, I don't mind either way. I will adjust to the game mugging and selling mechanics available, however they are to be. What do you think? Is the current mugging/protection system all swell and good as it is?


Hedas [1880839]

I think it is nice.. But i think the income from mugging someone without mug protection is a bit low.. Why would anyone leave 99%from someones vaulet
Weeman [506086]

I have brought it up in committee forums once, and other members didnt see that there was a problem. Mugging in its "updated" form was for Ched to create a bigger mug, but that's it and remove chain mugging a target.

In a sense, it is nice, because people now can paste in chat and to their friends about how big of an amount they mugged. The community found a loophole called mug protection. Now everyone and their mother has it and mugging is kind of dead, unless you waste lots and lots of e finding an inactive target to milk them.

All traders and gamblers and sellers are "mug protected" and its ridiculous. and people perceive muggers as *******s in a crime game.

A quick fix is to remove any sort of mug protection if you are online, because if you are online, you'd be dumb not to hide your cash. The protection should be for the offliners.

TLDR: Mugging is dead. Ched and committee don't see the problem and Torn community just wants to hold hands and make money together peacefully.
ChillySpunc [1905415]

I think what would change this is if attacks were made more of a spectacle. So a sort of occuring events page where people can join/spectate events. Which would make it harder for buy muggers to just dominate players, if someone happens to come across the attack of a buy mugger then they also have a chance to get that cash. That way it's not just the seller of items who would have to watch their back.
Hopslam [795412]

good contribution

I am a big trader so I definitely use self hosp and travel and mug protection at times, and any available game mechanics to safeguard myself from getting a big mug loss. However, I do somewhat strangely miss the non protection days of trading in a way. I definitely agree to some sort of protection to those offline, as getting continuously tapped while offline was a killer. Maybe a longer hospital time for getting mugged, like 12 hours? and then get an item to get out of hosp if come back online that takes away more hosp time than the current meds do, with some med cool down? 12 hour hosp time doesn't really make sense though, and not likely to be implemented.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

I think the main problem with mug protection is that it lasts too long, makes things boring and stagnant. I use it a lot too, but wouldn't mind if it would disappear say 50% faster.
-Khaos- [2063067]

Much as I hate being mugged I have to agree with this post. If you are online, you have many ways to keep your cash safe. Mug Protection should only benefit offliners imho.
Witherite [1601768]

A real trader is always active to store the cash in a second >:D

No but really, screw blood types, can't selfhosp, not paying my profit for protection. My activity saves me there.

As for mug protection I don't see what it could change into, I don't know if it was ever different before, I'm totally fine with it, but that's just me.
Hopslam [795412]

The online / offline thing could be tough to administer too though.... ever been in a respect farm war with terms to "not hit onliners"?? (now, that's a whole other issue, HA :P ). The online/offline icons and status still seem a bit tricky for phone users or idle users with Torn on in background.
Hedas [1880839]

buy and then mug is usually faster then to get the event and store the money.. Want me to show you Mundo? :P :D
Witherite [1601768]

Forgot to mention DoctorN/CityWatch is a saviour on those things, just keep a tab to store the cash and that's it.

HP plays a vital role as well of course.

It allows me to save it clean, not going to deny I've been greedy sometimes and risked it while in a slow server, which sometimes did not go too well (never doing it again :p). All about safety... but I ain't paying to get myself protected, wish there was some kind of alien blood bag I could use :P

Stupid AB+ Blood... from all the bloods I could have been... had to be a trader :/
Murky [1839173]

Some mechanics in this game I don't get. Like how can I put items up on the market or in bazaar, and take off on a flight and receive the funds immediately as soon as they are sold? As an RPG, how did cash end up in my pocket from stuff for sale at my bazaar? Yet stocks are different, you sell and get those funds in the bank. Another mechanic -- I have a laptop, and i can't follow all the links on the newspaper. And I can't see any info about my faction when i'm on a plane, yet I can forum freely (general and faction). Why isn't the competition info available on a laptop?

What about making it so your sales turn into cashier's checks at the bank, which you have to be in town to get, and reduce the mug cooldown to encourage logging in frequently to avoid being mugged? As an RPG, the current mechanic of 1) sell items on the market 2) immediately get mugged 3) go to the hospital for 20 minutes or however long 4) get mugged again when you still have alot of cash and the mugger finds $0? It doesn't make sense to me. Reduce the mug cooldown to something short so if you're selling something, you better log in frequently, and if you don't, you'll suffer.


Witherite [1601768]

If the game made sense defense would be in a better spot right now, but everyone knows Ched doesn't want that.

We couldn't rework such thing.
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

Maybe I'm not seeing all the angles, and I certainly wasn't around when mugging got nerfed to begin with...but

Was the only reason it got nerfed was to remove the ability to bleed an offline/inactive Cash cow? That just doesn't seem right to me. The point is to login and play, and play well. If you're not online, or go inactive that's your problem.

Anyway, like stated above...maybe mug protect is too long. But giving any benefit to being offline strikes me as bad for Torn.
Murky [1839173]

Yeah i know. I'm certainly not saying nerf anything -- the game (any game) has to be challenging and have the "ah crap" moments when you make a mistake, that's what makes it interesting. I'm brainstorming if there's a way to improve the mechanic of "have a buddy mug me so I'm safe for awhile while I sell this stuff." That's not an RPG move, that's a beat-the-system move. I get the challenge though, there's normal muggings too and how to make it so people aren't just mugged non-stop because the cooldown is shortened.