Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Community Moderator, would you want the job?

Started by megalomaniacal [1542618] Committee on in General Discussion.

104 replies · 1.88k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 105 / 105 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Nightmare [1637448]

 Could barely keep my faction in line when I owned one... can imagine the pile of crap I would create if I ended up with this job. Would enjoy it til I got the boot though. 

Edit: this reminded me of the book I'm reading. The new king is appointed after his friend kills the previous queen against his friend's wish. So once he is appointed king he has to be fair and just, put his friend to death. 

Now can we find an impartial CM that will rule with a just demeanour and dole out punishments of equal value to friend and for alike? Can they see the difference in posts between a troll trying to troll and a troll trying to make a point? Between honest mistakes and deliberate mischief? 

I hope they introduce themselves in a way that people have a chance to get to know how they will rule, give out warnings and such  before so a new buffer is established. A soft intro instead of someone rushing to the ban hammer.
bloodbaine [1580503]

As a manager already of 84 employees over 4 shifts in my current workplace I have the experience, but it would be a massive paycut so I wouldn't apply as things stand.

 

However if this was a few years ago, I would have considered it, play Torn in my pants? sure thing!  It would just add more to do in the game with added responsibility.  

 

Good luck to the winning candidate, I look forward to seeing what they will do.
Scuba [512975]

Dealing with everyone here? I'm... not confident I could keep it professional at all times. Otherwise, it would be and it'd suck all the fun out of this for me. All I can say is good luck to all candidates and I really wish them the best.
LDP [1580562]

It’s very appealing, to say the least. While I’m not sure I have the experience in the required areas - I love learning and developing my current skill set.

If you don’t try, you won’t succeed! Best of luck to all applicants - I look forward to working with the new CM in the near future :)
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

 Definitely interested so I'll take a shot at it... Whether I'm qualified or not I'll leave to Ched to determine... I've got my in game experience and several roles I've already had here which could help, but haven't gotten many real life qualifications to back the position. 
Beerstein [1322136]

I'll be jumping in too, I have the perfect work experience, and care a lot about Torn, though would of course have to turn off the little Torn persona I built here as it's not right for a staff position let alone a CM.
2049144 [2049144]

Way too many bias people here who would make a terrible job as CM especially someone like Beerstein and Harley who let their emotions take control over them from my past encounters with them.

for the love of God Chedburn please put someone sensible in charge such as Poptop or even that staff member named Dexter i like him he doesnt have a bias and seems like a nice guy. 
Alien [2052982]

Seems like it would suck the joy out of the game being the CM. Although I am sure the "power" would give some people a boner.

On another note* what a waste of resources to appease a handful of people,



GH0STY [1933277]

Damn, wish i could have the time and experience to do this. I already spend all day on the game, imagine getting paid for it >.<.
Beerstein [1322136]

There's a huge difference between gameplay, and work life. If everyone were judged based on their in game personas, almost no one would have a job.

I can promise you if I acted at my current job the way I do in Torn I'd be fired, I'd also fire someone under me that acted in the manner I act in Torn.

Bias doesn't even come into the equation with me and people. If it did, I wouldn't be allowed an exception to work with family as well as friends.

When it comes to the gameplay itself, I'm already in a position as committee to either speak with no bias, or state any potential bias I might have when speaking, and I'd like to think I do that well. An example there would be my suggestion to nerf Farms, of which I planned to own two simply because I felt they were too powerful. They were nerfed, and I did end up owning them, though I got a lot of backlash from other farm owners, it was the right decision, and I stand by it. Even now, people are finally saying "Hey, farms are really strong."

That said, I respect that you have that opinion, and from your perspective, can't even blame you for it. Of course, I realize in this particular case, that persona may matter, though it's something I'd love to do, so will give it a shot.
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

I can't say I have any recollection of an emotional interaction with you if I'm being honest...

However that opinion is fair and I'm sure shared by many, as I've had several heated discussions and have stirred the pot on the odd occasion, however how I act in game hardly reflects my emotions, or how I'd act towards them on a later date in a completely different setting. 

When it comes to actual decision making it doesn't matter whether you're a friend of mine or whether I don't like you, I'll make that decision either way. A good example of this would be the way I've managed the wiki team thus far, everyone knew I didn't like wall_st in game, or I was friends with Mat, yet I recruited the former and kicked the latter from the wiki team based purely on their performance & ideas. 
2049144 [2049144]

It happened on my original account in the politics and law forum when there was a terorrist attack in Belgium someone had made a thread and a bunch of people were being bigoted to all Muslims and saying nasty shit while i was the only one being reasonable, you decided to get butt hurt and bounty me i believe i even got some nasty PM as well.

Listen if Torn persona's are not involved in this application then i guess every scammer and dirtbag on Torn has the same chance as you and anyone else.
Cartman [1621675]

Hopefully he brings in an external candidate with CM experience from the gaming industry already. Last thing we need is some ****wit from the game taking on the role.
Butters [34298]

The one thing ched is hiding is that managing "DUD and co" will be a listed KPI on the CM's workplan with its own specifically allcated time fraction (probably 0.3-0.4).
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

Ah of course, how I could I forget that time I R-'d you in politics and law (I didn't even reply to that thread, lol), and you then proceeded to tell me I hated the listed countries because of that singular R-. I decided to bounty you, that is correct, because I didn't feel like bothering with your pm's. :P

I don't think that's actions influenced by emotions personally.

Source: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=38&t=15966892&b=0&a=0 

[image: i.gyazo.com]

 

As for your second point, I actually agree, if there's scammers or trolls out there that have always been compliant with the rules and haven't gone too far they should also have a chance at applying.

Mentions: Brussels attacks