Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Screen jitters

Started by Rum4nyby [1567187] on in Bugs & Issues.

43 replies · 455 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 44 / 44 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
44
Discussion span
→
Authority score
62 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Rum4nyby [1567187]

I think that's the correct word.

So this has started happening since the last patch randomly, on mobile and my laptop. When clicking something, there's a random chance that my screen literally bugs the crap out of itself and the webpage is just bouncing up and down (hence why I used the word jitters in the title). From what I've noticed, there doesn't seem to be a clear reason as to why it's happening. It seems like it can happen on anything. Just now, about a minute prior to making this thread, I bought a blowgun from my missions rewards bit, and a book spawned. I clicked on the buy button for that book and the page started shitting itself. 

This issue hasn't come up super frequently, but it is happening more than once.

Any ideas?
ChatGPT [1762864]

I get this issue using desktop view on mobile. Only happens when zoomed in at all when the page has only recently loaded
Grif [882958]

appologies for not responding to this sooner, what i suspect is whats happening is the page is loading different parts, possibly loading part lower down first, then its jumping based on parts loading, most likely only on a slow connection at the time

hard to say without more details, id strongly suspect its client side for the most part though, either a slow connection or a caching issue, is it a common event ? or just once in a while

have you tried clearing the cache to see if its related to that ?
Rum4nyby [1567187]

I don’t think it’s a slow connection since I do use many different websites as well as torn whenever I’m on my laptop and the issue still occurred. It wasn’t really a common event, and it’s not occurring anymore either, or st least I haven’t seen it since making this thread I think.

I don’t know if this is also related, but I have the gyazo extension on chrome. Sometimes, when taking a screenshot on torn ONLY, instead of taking one, the page scrolls down further than possible and is in a weird spot. I can probably take a screenshot of it tomorrow when I get on my laptop. Is this a similar thing? The page doesn’t jitter, but it does go down a lot for no reason.

Also, np about reply speeds, everyone has a life to attend to :)
PabloM [2158510]

I've noticed this too. Thought it was my computer.

Happened when I'd just bought something abroad.
It's like the screen moves up and down a small amount but super-fast.
Scrolling up usually stops it.
Rum4nyby [1567187]

Exactly what happens to me, perfect description!

For me, I've gotta refresh the page else I can't do anything on it. Funnily enough, this time round I had another torn tab open which I had a look at. The second tab was fine when I clicked on it. When I clicked back on the first tab, it was still jumping up and down until I clicked refresh on that page.
shak [1592807]

This happens to me only on mobile and when doing captcha when I am scrolled either to far up or down, weird but yeah it is a thing.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I've never noticed this personally. Is there an easy way to reliably replicate this? Or if anyone is able to get a video that'd be perfect!
Franky [1529693]

Only seen this on mobile. To reproduce this while flying, I click the home page and scroll down while the page is busy loading. The screen "jumps" or jitters till you scroll back up

Edit: Android 6, chrome v 70.0
Rum4nyby [1567187]

Honestly, I'm not sure how to replicate this. I had a 9 day gap in which it didn't occur at all. And in all the pages that I've visited where it has occurred, there seems to be no correlation at all (literally different parts of torn).
PabloM [2158510]

Reminds me of something similar that happens on sites where, for example, text goes bold when you mouse over it, which somehow moves the text in such a way as it's not under the cursor anymore, so stops being bold, which puts the text back under the cursor, so it goes bold, etc etc and on and on at the super-fast speed of the running code.

I wonder if there's some kind of table row being created (and un-created) super-fast for some unknown reason...
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff

This has been happening to me too. On my phone when on mobile mode (Galaxy S9 running Android Pie, browser is Chrome mobile) 

There is no reliable way to replicate this, but I found the issue on the jail page. If I scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, bust someone and then go all the way up to pull down to refresh, the page starts going bonkers, scrolls up and down extremely fast. It doesn't happen always, only sometimes. Happens on wifi as well as mobile data so I'm not sure if it's related to data connection quality. Haven't seen the issue on my laptop though.
Helcostr [1934501] Wiki Editor

Could you see any of the page content changing while the screen goes bonkers? Maybe something was removed, or added? Maybe the chat bar was moving radically? Were you in portrait or landscape mode?
Digger67 [2046748]

I thought it was just my phone, s7 chrome.  Haven't had the issue on laptop, chrome.  Its sporadic,  no particular page. Happens when i scroll down. I have to refresh to repair the issue. Will try and get a video next time.  It happens couple times a day

Page content is there, but the shake is too fast for anything to be legible 
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff

The entire page goes up and down. It only stops when I refresh the page again. I use my phone in portrait mode.