I'd add that the ban needs to be irreversible for a period no less than 3 months. [Staff policy not to reinstitute casino bans] I'd also request that the casino ban be completely confidential.
To anyone reading this who thinks they might have a gambling problem; note that the topic has been studied very throughly over the years. They found that nearly everyone with a gambling problem also suffers from substance abuse, unmanaged ADHD, severe stress, depression, or severe anxiety. If you ban yourself from the Torn Casino, I encourage you to seek out professional help in real life. There's absolutely no shame in it.
I agree. That's why I brought up the fact that you can nuke your entire account in your general settings and there's no going back if you use that feature. I assume the self ban would have the same prompts of "are you sure sure sure? This cannot be undone."
Then give options for self ban periods. I know here the smallest self ban you can do is 6 months, up to permanent.
I don't know if this would work though... people who don't have the self restraint to not gamble all their money away are most likely the same people who wouldn't use this feature... because... they want to keep gambling... lol. Part of me feels like the casino it's an enjoyable major part of the game for them. If you take that away they may just quit anyways because now they don't have access to something they enjoy.
However... if this is an easy feature to implement, why not? I do agree it would have to be for a minimum amount of time to be effective. Or even perhaps only banning certain casino games. I feel spin the wheel and the lottery aren't that bad. Or take it a step further and put a cap as to how much they can bet on any single casino game. For example you want to limit yourself to a max bet of only 1k on slots.
This could be a limitation on what the staff is able to do. Something that could likely be customized with the back end of things if they added a player controlled method of doing things. Removes the whole human element to it I guess.
You may be right. The optimist in me thinks of it as being used by players who can rage quit the casino as opposed to rage quitting torn all together. Trying to make it super customized and technical might just be too much work for the devs to administrate. Or so I would think. Though if it turns out to be decided that they will move forward on adding this feature, then they should think about that kind of stuff now, and not after it's been implemented.
Just so you are aware, in regards to your second point - we do have what you mention already within the wiki here for your reference: https://wiki.torn.com/wiki/Casino_Ban
No staff members will judge a person for wanting to ask for a casino ban, it's not a punishment and not treated as such either, any moderator, officer or myself can help with that.
Tried messaging one mod he referred me to another been waiting 3 days for a response. He has been on a few times while I was so idk why he never responded. Dexter sucks
Yeah it's not my intention to try to throw staff under the bus, but instead just make a suggestion which can remove the awkwardness that is explaining a personal problem to a stranger. And the second part of my point, is that most (low sample size I know) people still don't know that they have the ability to self ban. That's why I mention how it usually works in the real world. At the entrances of casino facilities where I live, there's actually requirements to have those resources for people to use if they have a problem. I don't know how big of an impact adding a quick link somewhere on the page to that specific wiki page would have on the casino as a whole.
A simple "problem gambling?" link that takes you to that wiki page would be more than enough to be miles ahead of what's there now. Which is nothing.
A worthy suggestion. Increase new player retention, and offer upfront self-help resources for a real issue.
We're all criminals here, but the community are overwhelmingly goodwilled. This improvement would be beneficial to the real people behind the handles. I hope enough players recognize this <3