same as above
[Userscript] Easter Egg Hunt+Egg Alert [Outdated]
Started by Heasleys4hemp [1468764] Committee on in Tools & Userscripts.
Posts archived: 312 / 312 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Call me crazy, but did not Ched say during CT that using scripts to detect presents/gifts lowered the chances of actually spawning them? Correct me if I am wrong, please.
Could this be the same here?
P.S.- So far, 1 green egg in my Swiss travel page in the first 2-3hours, nothing since.
Could this be the same here?
P.S.- So far, 1 green egg in my Swiss travel page in the first 2-3hours, nothing since.
I've uninstalled, gonna see if I have better luck without it. Will report back if I get any more eggs.
I had a thought that I was wondering. If I was using something like TornTools to hide things such as the animated airplane while traveling, could that be hiding eggs as well. If so, would this script still find them?
If there is anything "fishy" about the script, it would be on the server side, but I haven't seen any evidence of Torn blocking eggs from people using detection scripts.
I encourage anyone to look at the source code of my script. I would NEVER attempt to harm anyone with my scripts by blocking eggs on purpose. I made this script for myself, knowing things like DocTorn have been failing people. I have just added comments to the script if you would like to look at it yourself, it explains the entire process.
I encourage anyone to look at the source code of my script. I would NEVER attempt to harm anyone with my scripts by blocking eggs on purpose. I made this script for myself, knowing things like DocTorn have been failing people. I have just added comments to the script if you would like to look at it yourself, it explains the entire process.
We will be very tough on scripts which aid you in any way. We have a dozen different ways of detecting them, and we'll secretly add penalties that prevent future eggs from spawning for a while. We will never discuss or describe these detection methods, but we will be very carefully monitoring logs to make sure they're only taking care of abusers and not legitimate egg finders! We'll be constantly checking and adapting our detection systems in the background to ensure that it really isn't worth using any external tools at all.
- Chedburn, 16:01:07 - 08/04/15 (5 years ago)
I'm aware this was years ago, but has it actually changed? Has anyone actually had success finding multiple eggs with this script?
Mentions: Easter Eggs Competition
I guess everyone using the script is just having awful luck ?
I am not sure what you are insinuating?
Over a thousand people have downloaded the script. If you'd like to check with them and determine if all of them have had terrible luck, be my guest.
Over a thousand people have downloaded the script. If you'd like to check with them and determine if all of them have had terrible luck, be my guest.
Yeah, don't take me wrong, I completely believe that there is no malicious purpose whatsoever on your behalf, that's why I shared my browser info and suggested it might be a bug and perhaps affecting only some users. Also, you are a committee member so I trust you and would have never installed the script in the first place if I would fear it does something malicious on purpose.
But I would also take the user feedback very seriously as there are now multiple people in the thread reporting similar experiences. Could it all be a coincidence? That the users of these scripts just happen to be the unluckiest bunch of Torn? And that when using these scripts I encountered exactly 0 eggs in 11 hours of Monday and in full 24 hours of Tuesday. However I did encounter two eggs during the first hour of the event when I didn't yet use any scripts and have encountered now two more today since I stopped using this script. Coincidence again? Oh and yes, note how I write about scripts. I used both; your Egg Alert and then the Easter Egg hunt script once it became available.
All I have is my personal experience of course, but as said there are multiple others reporting similar experiences and even you yourself have only 1 egg found so.. The time is ticking down on the event and just based on my experience and what I see others reporting I would wary of using this and at least trying also without. I am not a coder, so I am not able to personally try to locate any possible bugs or figure out what might stop eggs from spawning when these scripts are active. For now, I have personally decided to find my eggs the old-fashioned way without scripts. Seems like many people are having trouble finding eggs anyway this year so my 3 eggs is already bringing me 9 tokens at 84%. Is it because of script usage or bad RNG? Who knows really :)
But I would also take the user feedback very seriously as there are now multiple people in the thread reporting similar experiences. Could it all be a coincidence? That the users of these scripts just happen to be the unluckiest bunch of Torn? And that when using these scripts I encountered exactly 0 eggs in 11 hours of Monday and in full 24 hours of Tuesday. However I did encounter two eggs during the first hour of the event when I didn't yet use any scripts and have encountered now two more today since I stopped using this script. Coincidence again? Oh and yes, note how I write about scripts. I used both; your Egg Alert and then the Easter Egg hunt script once it became available.
All I have is my personal experience of course, but as said there are multiple others reporting similar experiences and even you yourself have only 1 egg found so.. The time is ticking down on the event and just based on my experience and what I see others reporting I would wary of using this and at least trying also without. I am not a coder, so I am not able to personally try to locate any possible bugs or figure out what might stop eggs from spawning when these scripts are active. For now, I have personally decided to find my eggs the old-fashioned way without scripts. Seems like many people are having trouble finding eggs anyway this year so my 3 eggs is already bringing me 9 tokens at 84%. Is it because of script usage or bad RNG? Who knows really :)
Point of data - I have found 2 eggs, which right now seems to be a rough average for most users. First egg I found without any scripts installed. I then installed both of these, found one more, and now am searching for my 3rd. So, normal data point from here as far as I can tell.
everyone found one with the script and then the chaos! so maybe Torn throttle up users with script
I appreciate your feedback and the feedback of others, I spent the first day or two tracking down bugs for people having page loading issues, because I really care about helping people.
It's very disheartening to be blamed for low egg counts when I was just trying to help people find eggs. I've spent many hours attempting to find any reason why the script would be causing these issues, but I haven't been able to find any.
I've even tried disabling the script, using an entire different browser without the script, and still have not found extra eggs.
If the script has been the issue of egg finds, I am incredibly sorry.
It's very disheartening to be blamed for low egg counts when I was just trying to help people find eggs. I've spent many hours attempting to find any reason why the script would be causing these issues, but I haven't been able to find any.
I've even tried disabling the script, using an entire different browser without the script, and still have not found extra eggs.
If the script has been the issue of egg finds, I am incredibly sorry.
Yes, exactly this. I found one with the script and then no more in the well over 48 hours since. I've seen similar reports all over the place.
One thing I did notice is that your script does find plenty of the fake ones. I wonder if they are somehow using those to track for scripts, even though they are not clicked.
I absolutely don't think any blame is yours, you've been trying to help and I got one really appreciate it. If you hadn't made this, somebody else would have. The only real question is whether or not it's actually throttling people somehow, which is exactly what Ched said would happen in his post 5 years ago.
I absolutely don't think any blame is yours, you've been trying to help and I got one really appreciate it. If you hadn't made this, somebody else would have. The only real question is whether or not it's actually throttling people somehow, which is exactly what Ched said would happen in his post 5 years ago.
Absolutely no need to be. I personally love all kinds of scripts adding useful features and QoL improvements to Torn and I really appreciate all the coders creating these. Sometimes stuff doesn't work or even ends up breaking parts of the game and that's just how it is when adding something extra not originally intended to be there. Not referencing particularly to this script but just overall, even Torn Tools occasionally breaks something for me at the very least on site formatting level. And I still use it and love it.
So don't feel bad even if it is something about this script, I appreciate you looking into it and trying to figure it out. And actually just you saying that you have double-checked it and can't figure out any issues makes me that much more confident it indeed was just RNG. And it very well could be! But this is a limited-time event, scripts absolutely can cause issues or break something and I think that even if it is just a hunch or experience many people are having it is worth voicing out so everyone can consider the chances and alternatives, right? The sooner we get Ahab here telling that he uses this script too or people start reporting that they have found multiple using this no problem, then even I might return into it. But for now I don't want to take that chance, I would be checking every page manually with my eyes anyway just in case. Just wanted to share my experience seeing multiple others reporting the same and having just disabled it myself today and finding two eggs after.
Thanks for your work with this script nevertheless!
So don't feel bad even if it is something about this script, I appreciate you looking into it and trying to figure it out. And actually just you saying that you have double-checked it and can't figure out any issues makes me that much more confident it indeed was just RNG. And it very well could be! But this is a limited-time event, scripts absolutely can cause issues or break something and I think that even if it is just a hunch or experience many people are having it is worth voicing out so everyone can consider the chances and alternatives, right? The sooner we get Ahab here telling that he uses this script too or people start reporting that they have found multiple using this no problem, then even I might return into it. But for now I don't want to take that chance, I would be checking every page manually with my eyes anyway just in case. Just wanted to share my experience seeing multiple others reporting the same and having just disabled it myself today and finding two eggs after.
Thanks for your work with this script nevertheless!
When i click that link, it downloads it then chrome says "apps, extensions, and user scripts cannot be added from this website" any suggestions??
I looked through the source code before installing it and there is absolutely nothing malicious about it. I'm not sure why people are implying that you've embedded something in it or that the script doesn't work, because it does and it has helped me find an egg. However, my spawn rates have definitely been considerably lower than normal and perhaps this is because of what people have posted Ched saying in the past. This program doesn't do anything except deal with opacity and consistently check for changes indicating an egg has spawned (your mutation observer method). Nothing bad about it and nothing embedded so not sure why the hate. I think its great and I enjoy it! Thanks for writing this.
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=3&t=16220650&b=0&a=0&to=21385146
Although this is from a wiki contributor and not a dev, this should answer a few questions. I would assume that previously implemented measures are active today, so running scripts would decrease spawn rates.
Although this is from a wiki contributor and not a dev, this should answer a few questions. I would assume that previously implemented measures are active today, so running scripts would decrease spawn rates.
Nobody's implying that the script is malicious. The statement made by Chedburn is that there are checks in place for scripts of this kind that will limit the number of egg spawns for people using such scripts.
I don't think anybody is implying that OP directly is to blame for this but perhaps the checks for egg finding scripts are working as intended.
I don't think anybody is implying that OP directly is to blame for this but perhaps the checks for egg finding scripts are working as intended.
I found one with no script, one with the script on the first day and nothing since. Gonna try to turn it off for now and see if my luck turns.