Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

General MMA thread

Started by 2824277 [2824277] on in Sports.

175 replies · 827 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 176 / 176 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
176
Discussion span
→
Authority score
26 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

2824277 [2824277]
[image: snipboard.io]

Welcome to the General MMA thread[/u]

Here we can discuss opcoming fights, promotions, fighters, news and share funny memes MMA related. Also et's not forget to call each other casuals. :p Fights from BKFC, that feature (retired) MMA fighters, and high ranking fights from other disciplines are also welcome here.

A bit of banter is welcome, but let's not derail the thread with unnecessary flaming. ;)
2824277 [2824277]
So this week we have, imo a few things standing out.

Luke Rockhold gets his teeth knocked out by Mike Perry
A change from Luke getting knocked out of this planet XD
[image: www.thesun.ie]

Ngannou won't sign for ONE
Even though Chatri, earlier this week, loked quite confident that he would be able to come to an agreement with Francis, we now know this has failed. Chatri stated to be able to offer Ngannou most of all promotions and him having a fighter's background and always respectful towards his fighters, I was really hoping to see Francis sign with ONE. A huge promotion that imo could be considered a rival to UFC. Not sure if this is part of the negotiations game, but Francis needs to act quick before his starpower will dwindle.
[image: r.testifier.nl]

UFC 288
[image: cdn.vox-cdn.com]
The battle of the cringe. Cejudo makes his comeback to challenge the UFC Bantamweight champ Sterling. Rarely do fighters make comebacks after years and win a title. GSP and Jones have done it though and Cejudo can definitely be classified among these greats if he pulls it off.

Sadly Oliviera vs Dariush has been canceled, but we still have some bangers to look forward to. Burns vs Muhammad should be a banger. Mad respect to Gilbert for fighting so short after defeating Masvidal. Evloev is also a promising fighter with a dominant win over Ige. Always fun to see a Gracie and see if he can still make it in nowadays MMA. Dober vs Frevola on the prelims is also a fight I'm looking forward to.

ONE Fight Night 10
[image: cdn.onefc.com]
Fights in different disciplines like MMA, Muy Thai and grappling. Notable is Mighty Mouse vs Moraes which can only be a banger. Both have finished each other with a knee to the head (which wouldn't be allowed in the UFC). A great fight to look forward to.

Edit: Bryce Mitchell is out of the fight with Movsar Evloev in UFC 288 due to an undisclosed injury
2824277 [2824277]
Demetrious Johnson aka Mighty Mouse def. Adriano Moraes via unanimous decision.
[image: mmajunkie.usatoday.com]
Often not as entertaining as it could have been due to Moraes try to stall the fight. DJ had some nice actions though for example the flying knee. DJ is an absolute legend and is up there with the GOATs.
2824277 [2824277]
I feel it's very hard to take that leading marketing role from UFC. I also think that in most weight classes UFC still has the better fighters. I wish ONE and UFC would do cross promotion cards like recently Bellator and Rizin did. But you run the risk that it will end bad for you like in the case of Rizin.

I love that ONE has different disciplines and Chatri treats his fighters much better. I highly dislike Dana White for the way he talks about fighters and how he carries himself. That Slap Battle crap he's been pushing is the last straw to tell me he's not a good person.
JohnnySniffles [2161226]
I do agree the promotion as a whole is alot better, but that is due to beeing the market leader i reckon for so many years. Give it a few years and i think One will close in on the gap. Atleast i hope so.

It is a lot more fun to watch atleast :)
2824277 [2824277]
I share you hopes and opinion XD But ngl I'm really looking forward fo UFC 288.

Something else: Canelo also fighting today.
2824277 [2824277]
Really disappointed with the results of UFC 288.

Frevola fought a good fight. Punishing Drober like that was really impressive.

Jourdain vs Gracie was painful to see. Gracie bringing that ancient Gracie style of waiting for the enemy to come down.

Evloev vs Lopes was very entertaining. Great debut performance for Lopes. Very dangerous on the ground. Amazing to see how Evloev didn't tap.

Yan vs Andrade... What can you say? Clear victory for Yan.

Muhammad vs Burns was disappointing. Burns seemed to be injured and never really got into the fight. Belal just coasting and clearly winning the fight.

Main event. I was looking forward so much to this fight. But tbh I expected it to be a problem for Cejudo and the ring rust. Cejudo clearly didn't win this one. Again crazy judging, one judge giving the fight to Henry.

I'm disappointed with how it all turned out.

Also last Saturday: Canelo vs Ryder. Easy and obvious decision for Canelo.
SaintLuke [2220265]
well...going to be different without Amanda Nunes.

edit- 05:05:08 - 11/06/23 You won $220,000,000 on your $100,000,000 (x2.20) bet in the Bookie on Charles Oliveira (2-Way Full event) bet on Charles Oliveira v Beneil Dariush (Mixed Martial arts)

easy money.
2824277 [2824277]
Yeah she already said that after her everybody is a fake champion. Kinda weird to say if you retired. She's arguably the GOAT, but I never liked her. Can also be because I root for Valentina. XD

Nice bet. The crazy thing is that Oliviera was the underdog going into this fight. Yes Dariush had a 8 fight win streak, but still... Wanted that fight to last a but longer, but Oliviera landed had and dazed Beneil.
Lasky [1718783]
Totally agree. C olives has sneaky power in those hands!

I don’t think Dariush recovered from that early high kick to his dome. His hands were down multiple times towards the end of that fight and he got cracked almost every time. You’re just asking to get starched.

Very peculiar from someone who usually has such good decision making, and fight IQ.
2824277 [2824277]
Yes that kicked dazed him and was the beginning of the end. I even saw a meme thst this was the first in many fights that Charles didn't get knocked down XD
SaintLuke [2220265]
well, to be fair she has taken every "next big thing" and shut them down with ease. She is not retiring in fear of losing, just getting boring and she has a child that is starting to get into the fun years. I also root for Valentina, the lady is like a damn robot fighting.

yea, when I saw the odds, I knew I had to put some money down. Could not believe the bookies were doubting Oliviera like that.
HugeAckman [2924717]
Honestly I think the bookies underestimated because I think he had just a plain bad night against Islam. Alot of fighters lose their title fast like that also lose that spark that made them champ. But Charlie Olives ain't most fighters. And that's why I specifically love him and also bet on him here in torn.

My only regret is I thought about stopping and throwing 5 more mil down on that fight but I forgot to add to my already existing pathetic bet of 3k I made last month when I was still brand new and didn't have any money haha.

Glad to see Charles win. I really hope he can figure out Islam and get his title back.
2824277 [2824277]
Well Valentina got robbed 1 fight tbh and Pena showed that Nunes isn't bullet proof. And the fight with Cyborg could go either way before she got clipped. Sadly Chris had a falling out with Dana Shite and we never got to seea rematch. But hands down one of the most dominant female fighters ever. Now that even Harris had lost in PFL that debate doesn't even have to be had.
2824277 [2824277]
Everybody has a plain bad night against Islam. Volk was an exception to that. And that one fluke KO. Charles almost always gets knocked down. That's a huge hole in his fighting. And his bjj is superior to everyone other than Islam. I don't think he can beat Islam, but.... And this is a huge but. Khabib is not in Islam's corner anymore. Islam is a insane fighter, but he lacks the fighting IQ that Khabib has. I think Khabib got it from Abdulmanap, god rest his soul. You saw that in the fight against Volk. Islam was very sloppy and not smart. Granted he did land some good hits on Volk, but I even thought Volk deserved the win. Khabib needs to get his ass back to cornering Islam again. If not I can see Islam losing fights. Also I follow Islam, but I feel like he has less training intensity than when he trained together with Khabib or when Khabib retired and went full on coaching
HugeAckman [2924717]
Totally agree with all that honestly. Volk is an animal by the way the only guy I've seen to make Islam look for the clock and I got mad respect for both fighters