Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Why is Dex so bad?

Started by Lasky [1718783] on in General Discussion.

97 replies · 5.02k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 98 / 98 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Adrenalinas [1974447]
It is 14x for or 16x for def and much lower if you wear Sentinel armor.

Also somehow everyone forgot to mention that not just sure shots kills dex, but having a good bleed weapon kinda f**ks dex build too.

But in short, during mass attacks or rws dex is better because all use smokes that stack and def is better if you go 1 vs 1 attacks or attacking events like dog tags, elimination, Halloween

but that is just my opinion
KindaEpicMoah [2493924]
True, flash grenades are practically useless when defending, but there are still some funny logs I've gotten with them during elims when people don't wait them out:

Dr_Vlad attacked you but stalemated [view]

Cav attacked you but stalemated [view]

PaigeNurial attacked you but stalemated [view]

And my favorite:

Archimedes and Blistig attacked you [view]

Make sure to turn off important logs only for maximum satisfaction
undo [2090073]
He does, but he also has more attacks than me, so, it’s not like he has a low number of attacks, especially compared to Xanax taken.


He also might have lived in subpar housing for too long and trained with too little happiness. There were also fewer guides, factions had less respect = perks, things were relatively more expensive, etc back in the day. And stats growth was linear after 50m in a stat. He could’ve spent excessive amounts of time not using special gyms due to changing his mind on which one to train and having to regear.


I do think a combination of all of the above (including previous post) could easily explain his stats total. And yes, some of that is a skill issue (and some isn’t). You can find plenty of other older players with relatively bad xan to stats ratios for similar reasons.
undo [2090073]
I mean, you obviously should look at things like can usage and attacks done... 22,925 attacks hints at the estimate possibly being off (also, this doesn't work well for people with under 1k or so xanax taken, and it's a very rough estimate in any case that'll have many exceptions).
Hartje [11746]
I find ppl with high dex to be far more frustrating than ppl with high defensive just because of the unpredictability of hits. You can sort of plot out how you want to approach a fight if you know you are going to hit, and that makes it a little easier to control the fight as an attacker against def builds. With dex its like welp shit I hope I hit.
KindaEpicMoah [2493924]
Yeah I know, I was just joking :p

A good point of reference for the 1k Xanax = 1b stats theory would be the younger SMTH players since most of them max out Xanax usage while minimizing attacks and can usage, and it seems like you're not far off, though it might be more like xans-500/1,000 is BS in the billions.
Erebus [1666253]
Ahh ok yeah.
I've never really bought into the x14 vs x64 argument (for total mitigation/miss chance it's x14 for def vs strength and x64 for dex vs speed)

Whilst it's true that you need x64 dex for 100% miss chance the numbers compared to the x14 def only get weird towards the very top end.
What I mean by this is if you looked at someone who had, say, x14 dex, the miss chance on that would still be massive (probably in the 90% range) it's only that last bit where you have to keep putting more dex in vs speed to get to the 100% miss chance.

Also the x14 def is predicated on you SEing the balls out of def to get there.
Most people in HOF have (at a guess) minimum 2bn str. This means you need 28bn def (minimum). There's no way you're energy training to 28bn. From a base of 5bn def you would need about 180 SEs to get up to that range ($81bn).
I dont see the average player casually dropping over $80bn into SEs, which means talking about x14 def is nearly pointless for most people.

Unless you can guarantee a mitigated hit all RW weapon bonuses will get through and stack.
We've just proven that most players will be unable to reach stat levels for full mitigation so...

The point about sure shot is justified.
However, I don't think it's a popular bonus.
Don't get me wrong, if you're hunting a dex whore it's an amazing perk.
But again, if you're an average player going to war, are you going to use up a weapon slot for sure shot just in case you come across a dex whore!? Or would you rather go for more generic but more useful (against the wider player base) perks like evis, moti, penetrate etc etc

Don't get me wrong, for the average player, I don't advocate choosing one or the other, I think both are needed for a solid build.
My personal aim at the moment is to get all stats to 5bn then go from there.

Sorry for the long post :)
Odin-All-Father [2010524]
Firstly; Don’t apologise for healthy discussion, you went a long post without making it an argument or insulting, that’s a rare thing on here lol.

but to the rest of it; I agree but there are some other things to factor in; say the average speed is 500M, that would still require you to have 32B dex, (which would cost even more than SE’ing def to mitigation) and let’s be honest, the majority of dex whores have f**k all def, and a fair portion of dex whores are level holders, so you only need to land that 1-2 hits, rather than several + against def whores.

From what I’ve seen personally (and correct me if I’m wrong), but I’ve seen more HOF using sure shot than anyone else (which would likely be why the price for the perks are so low, common perk smaller market).


Agreed on the final part, I’ll be getting the 1B merit in all stats before whoring def, though I’m a year or so away from that and things can change. Dex is much better on a smaller scale anyway, IMO.
Lasky [1718783]
Simply put you’re more active than me. You have over 80 days of game time on me, which is a shit load of natural e. And pretty high for someone of your game age… as undo stated I’ve only read one training book which is sucky xD

I’m well aware of how useful smokes are, I was using them during the fights that led me to create this thread. I just ran out and couldn’t be bothered to restock.

But alas this isn’t about my stats (as a whole). My stats are poo for my age (I admitted that in my op) but my dex is half decent, and the point I was making is that it ain’t very good.

Speed annihilates it. and lately I seem to be dodging less and less hits on similar, inactive chain targets.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]
Dex isn't that bad, your problem is that your strength and speed are so low that you don't kill your opponents fast enough. And your stats in general are low for your age I'm afraid, you just need to train a lot more and tweak your build a little bit.
Lasky [1718783]
Pretty much all of the above xD And I created a faction (The faction I am currently in) pretty much from scratch and have helped build it from minimal respect to nearly 5m so while my respect gained for faction is still relatively low (I haven’t taken a decent bonus hit in years) I have, for a long ass time, had to make do with crappy faction perks while we gained enough respect to unlock them.

While this doesn’t excuse my big stretches of inactivity I think it helps to show how slow of a process my stat building has been when compared to players that hop into established factions when they’re a few hundred days old.
Erebus [1666253]
No worries mate, it's all love haha.
I like discussions like this and I'm definitely no oracle. Even though I've been here a while, there's always something I've forgotten, or a new mechanic I don't understand. Plus another POV is always good to have.

I completely agree with the point you made the average 500m speed and needing 32bn dex, that was kind of my point as well.
I was getting at people justifying going down the def route by saying "x14 def is easier to achieve than x64 dex" is crazy (although it is a true statement).
It's like saying 'the moon is a closer celestial body than Mars, so let's go there for a visit instead' for most people it's completety unachievable either way.

I think more of the HOF having sure shot makes sense;
- more disposal funds for multiple RW load outs
- more opponents which fully specialise into dex

I still think that given the option of just one load out the vast bast majority of the player base wouldn't choose sure shot.

To be honest though, it sounds like we mostly agree.
Anyone level holding or just e training dex with no def deserve to get destroyed haha.
Best of luck getting the 1bn in all stats, defo a great achievement.
CapMaster [2481248]
I dont know why people are talking about full mitigation on a dex build, like.. c'mon people. You dont need fully mitigation on dex, you just need like 90% misses, which only need to be 10x times bigger than your opponent speed. With 90% misses, means they only can get maximum of 3 hits in a full attack, if you are paper those 3 hits will give you a lot of damage, but wtihout being at least 2 critical i dont think they will kill you.

I can go on and on about each build and how is better or worse than the other, the only thing that OP forgot is dex is build on chances, so you can have a guy with 33% chance to hit you and the guy will do 6 out of 10 hits on you. Its all luck.

From my experience in the island war, there were a few times where i was being hit by people that shouldnt hit me so often, but then i get attacked by 3b in speed and ohh boy i got missed so much it felt like i had 20b in dex.

The only thing I can say: if you whore dex or def without at least training the other a little bit, you are a moron. A dex build that has no def, its a one shot one kill. A def build that hasnt a little bit of dex , you will just hit them over and over again, the attack has 25 turns, you got time.