Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

blocking script

Started by Candymonster [1632600] on in General Discussion.

99 replies · 740 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 100 / 100 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
100
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
62 / 100
Engagement score
76 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Candymonster [1632600]

I just came on to say **** St Relentless and **** his blocking script. Lucky people have this now because some people were just too ****ing stupid to not click on a post.

Samething with the chat script, is it so hard to not read something.

Everyone who is using it need to grow some balls or some ovaries. Man up or woman, stop being so **** weak.


2049144 [2049144]

Why do you even care? I sure as hell don't give a rats ass if someone blocks me, goes to show i'm so damn special to them that they took time out of their life to copy my ID and paste it in that script.
TheLamia [2048880]

The biggest issue is that "blocking", "muting", "iggy", etc. all have some major issues where they fail to comprehend various elements of basic human psychology that ultimately result in making situations worse by putting people on iggy (oh... 1990s net speak, how I miss you).

By putting somebody on iggy, you allow them to continue putting forth their own narrative and they are now free to make all kinds of claims unchecked by you.

Putting people on iggy is why we have literally Nazis marching the streets talking about jews, gays and black people are the reason people don't use coal for everything anymore. Why... maybe eating coal for breakfast is too good for those San Fransisco Black Jews... and that is clearly why America is hated by the world... or something.

It essentially is at odds with too many problems with human psychology... and nobody who champions the ideals of iggy will ever do anything to understand that they were the problem the whole time.

Meanwhile kline, bline, banning, etc. do have reasons and scenarios where they are useful... provided you are not using klines how most people would use mute or iggy.
TheLamia [2048880]

Shorter form of my previous comment:

If you ignore a problem, it just gets worse.

If you feel the desire to be able to ignore something--it is clearly a problem.
JussiJernkuuk [1874922]

Fortunately nothing really bad can happen if you ignore the shitposters. It's not like they are going to start killing jews or something like that, they just stamp their feet and demand more attention. And the smarter ones like Dude change their posting style, so something good has come out of it already.
Orionis [1924258]

For me it's not so much a matter of being unable to avoid clicking a post. Let me walk you through it. (note: I only filter threads created by certain users. I do not filter posts they make)

Previously when I would click on Global Discussion, the overwhelming number of garbage threads was overwhelming especially when someone would go through and bump a bunch of them. I would try to scan topics that weren't garbage, but often would overlook useful or interesting threads.

Now when I load up Global Discussion, there are still some garbage threads. I only blocked the people I viewed as serial garbage thread creators. What remains is much more manageable for me. I even hover over some of the suspected garbage threads to get a preview of the first post and evaluate my desire to read further. That's part of how I ended up here. My first instinct was "Ugh, really?", but after checking out the other threads, I gave the preview a read and here I am, posting my opinion and contributing to a discussion with a counterpoint.
Candymonster [1632600]

Thank you for giving me your opinion on the matter, I would love to see you out there talking to others bro.

What if everything you see is nothing but shit??


TheLamia [2048880]

The part where I stated the narrative that America sucks because Black Jewish people in San Fransisco think they are too good to eat coal for breakfast?

Look... every day... the majority of San Fransisco and Hollywood does not consume coal for breakfast--nor do they show movies where people eat coal for breakfast. And we have coal mines shutting down... which is making America frownie face.

BTW... this is an example of a narrative being set--that in the past I would claim works as an example for how ridiculous it is... then these last couple of years happened... so... I'm not certain if this narrative can be claimed to be a ridiculous example... and am waiting for the first person to take it seriously.
TheLamia [2048880]

Eh... again... the whole "use the ignore feature" that has shown up as a suggestion since the early 90s is what is responsible for the change in culture from the late 90s where women playing video games was considered "okay... why is that a big deal, games are fun", have female protagonists was considered "okay... why is this a big deal", having coloured people in television shows was considered, "coloured people exist too... so having them in television makes sense"

To where we are today... where the answer to all those scenarios is a resounding, "HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE ****! WOMEN AND BLACK PEOPLE! HOW DARE YOU GET THAT COMMIE SHIT IN MY FACE! AMERICA IS NOT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE AND WOMEN!"... usually followed up with a comment about how they do not think black people, women or anybody is treated differently... despite them going on a huge rant at the sight of one of those.

Things were... different in the 90s. Yes... the whole LA Riots thing happened... but lets be honest--similar stuff like that happens today, and people generally do not side with the people in the riots anymore... or at least not without being accused of being a communist.

It is because... when you ignore somebody saying distasteful things... they will keep saying those distasteful things... and other people will not realise they are distasteful, because nobody is saying, "uh... hey... that person is saying nonsense"--because nobody who knows better is acknowledging that person. So the person saying the distasteful stuff will get an audience and a following.

That is how we got where we currently are... this current social mess the world is in.

People would lay down narratives... people who knew better would ignore them... but plenty of people who did not know better heard them--and started thinking they were correct... and the people who knew better just kept ignoring everything.
Jamin [1265909]

Not really, In some cases ignoring a problem is bad like having health issues or money problems but ignoring trolls in an online forum does not fall into that category, I fail to see how the problem gets worse for someone using a script to ignore shitposters.